Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Fasters weakening by HCL stripping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasters weakening by HCL stripping

Hi,

I have tried to use HCL to strip zinc from my motorcycle bolts so I could Nickel plate them. I may have done something very wrong and I need some help to understand what is salvageable.

As I blasted the parts prior to stripping the zinc from them I was getting bad nickel plating results as I imagine I had got zinc into the metal by blasting it.

For that reason I have tried different HCL approaches to strip the zinc:

Approach A:

Some of the bolts have been dip into muriatic acid (25%HCL 75% distilled water) for a COUPLE HOURS hours. Visually they seem fine.

Approach B:

Some of the bolts have been dip into muriatic acid (25%HCL 75% distilled water) for a 5 DAYS. Visually they seem fine.

Approach C:

Some of the bolts have been dip into 100%HCL for a COUPLE HOURS. Visually they seem corroded, brittle and light in weight. Completely ruined.

Based on that I have TWO questions:

Question 1 - As these fasteners are a structural part of the motorcycle and C seems to have completely ruined them. I would like to know if the approach A & B although the parts look fine may have made them weaken by hydrogen embrittlement or something else?

Question 2 - And if I did cause some weakening is there a way that I as a Hobbyist could test of detect it?
Working...
X