Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasters weakening by HCL stripping

Hi,

I have tried to use HCL to strip zinc from my motorcycle bolts so I could Nickel plate them. I may have done something very wrong and I need some help to understand what is salvageable.

As I blasted the parts prior to stripping the zinc from them I was getting bad nickel plating results as I imagine I had got zinc into the metal by blasting it.

For that reason I have tried different HCL approaches to strip the zinc:

Approach A:

Some of the bolts have been dip into muriatic acid (25%HCL 75% distilled water) for a COUPLE HOURS hours. Visually they seem fine.

Approach B:

Some of the bolts have been dip into muriatic acid (25%HCL 75% distilled water) for a 5 DAYS. Visually they seem fine.

Approach C:

Some of the bolts have been dip into 100%HCL for a COUPLE HOURS. Visually they seem corroded, brittle and light in weight. Completely ruined.

Based on that I have TWO questions:

Question 1 - As these fasteners are a structural part of the motorcycle and C seems to have completely ruined them. I would like to know if the approach A & B although the parts look fine may have made them weaken by hydrogen embrittlement or something else?

Question 2 - And if I did cause some weakening is there a way that I as a Hobbyist could test of detect it?
Working...
X