Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed rust from steel but too tarnished to plate

I'm new here. Apologies.

I'm trying to restore an old (1897) Blickensderfer typewriter. I've pulled it apart and cleaned all the gunk off the parts, but they were pretty rusty. I tried using vinegar to get the rust off, which did a pretty good job; then found Evaporust which removed the last of it. The parts I believe (assume) were nickel-plated steel and I'd like to re-plate them. But...

I think I'm down to bare metal. Some parts had a little residual nickel plating, which was eventually removed. But the metal that remains is super dull. It seems oxidized; just not in a rusty way, and, predictably, won't plate. I tried plating a penny to ensure my brush plating process works. No problems there...

I understand that I need to get the metal shiny before it'll plate, but can't figure out what I need to do to get there. Does anyone know what's going on here? Is this a persistent oxide on the surface, or some carbon that's been pulled out by the Evaporust?

Massive thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mike Dean; 11-20-2018, 02:41 AM.

What did you use to remove the old Nickel ? If there is still Nickel present you will need our Nickel Activator.
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

I used vinegar to try remove the rust, and Evaporust to get rid of the rest of it. After that, the remaining nickel was a very thin layer that was flaking off anyways, so I rubbed the last remaining flakes off with 600-grade wet & dry paper.

Comment

I would start with a Sisal Wheel and a Black Emery Bar, Then move on to a Spiral Sewn Wheel with a White Bar. Degrease with Dawn Dish Soap and distilled water then plate.
        --
        Jason Vanderbroek
        315 946 1213 x116
        www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Working...
        X