Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please - first attempt with Black Oxide kit, noticed some yellowing/rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please - first attempt with Black Oxide kit, noticed some yellowing/rusting

Hi there,

I am attempting to salvage some unique nuts from a vintage keyboard that were previously extremely rusted. I am using the black oxide kit and opted for the Caswell sealer over the penetrating oil sealer, as I wanted a dry finish. After the process, I noticed some yellowing/rusting as the nuts were drying -- see attached photo. Just for sanity, wondering if anyone sees anything that I'm obviously doing wrong?

My process was this:
    1. Soak nuts in vinegar for several days, scrubbing with steel brush and rinsing/replenishing vinegar occasionally.
    2. Soak nuts in Evaporust for a couple weeks while I waited for the black oxide kit to arrive
    3. Rinse Evaporust-soaked nuts in denatured alcohol as a pre-rinse.
    4. Followed the steps recommended by Caswell to do the black oxide coating: rinse with distilled water, submerge in 1:9 concentrate solution for 30-300 sec, immediately rinse with distilled water, submerge in sealer for 1-2 minutes, shake off excess, let dry for at least 10 min before handling.
    However, again, I'm noticing some yellow oxidation or something on some of the nuts. I'm starting to think maybe the evaporust soaked into the metal more than I realized, because the color looks sort of like evaporust, and I didn't do any aggressive mechanical cleaning such as sandblasting.

Can anyone recommend how to improve this process?
    How would I go about stripping these nuts back to the bare metal to repeat the process?
    Will a steel brush or steel wool be sufficient for cleaning the nuts before submerging in the black oxide solution?
    Also, does anyone know a safe way to dispose of the used black oxide solution and sealer?

Thanks much.
    Last edited by vanwerk; 07-28-2020, 10:59 PM.

By the looks of the discoloration, I would say there is some cleaning that needs to be done in the Creases and low areas, try a good hot mix of dawn dish soap and hot water for 3-5 minutes, rinse and re blacken for about a minute, that should cure it.
    --
    Jason Vanderbroek
    315 946 1213 x116
    www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caswellplating_Jason View Post
      By the looks of the discoloration, I would say there is some cleaning that needs to be done in the Creases and low areas, try a good hot mix of dawn dish soap and hot water for 3-5 minutes, rinse and re blacken for about a minute, that should cure it.
      Thank you. Just to be abundantly clear, would you recommend using an abrasive pad, steel brush, etc during the hot water/dish soap cleaning?

Comment

You can if you want to, it would only help the process.
        --
        Jason Vanderbroek
        315 946 1213 x116
        www.caswellplating.com

Comment

Working...
        X