Totally off topic question about Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally off topic question about Insulation

Alrighty, i just purchased a nice prefabricated metal building. They wanted a lot of money for the standard insulation for the place so i didnt pick it up. Does anyone know the name or where i can purchase the spray on style? The stuff you mix part a with b and spray it on with a hvlp spray/texture gun? I want to try this stuff out because it may be far cheaper now, as ordering the insulation would mean paying freight etc. If anyone has any leads or any information in the area, i'd appreciate it.

hi tom,
    i am interested to know about this product also. if you get any info out of forum please let me know.
    cheers & merry xmas.

Comment

I'll be sure to let you know if i can find any information about it. Since i do not have any "walls" or barriers to hold normal insulation in with i need something like this or something with an adhesive backing to stick it to the metal. Anyone know of this sort of stuff either?

Comment

there's an insulation out on the market that's your standard "fiberglass" type but it's in a sealed bag. You can get it at home depot. I'd also imaging you can get the spray on adhesive there as well. Can't remember the name of the insulation but I'd know it if I heard it. Meant for the "home installer" who doesn't like to handle 'glass primarily. White bag with green lettering is all I can remember. There's also a product out on the market (but it's not very thick) that's called "bug barrier". It's a flat board type of foam insulation that has a peel and stick backing to it used in new home construction instead of the standard Tyvek house wrapping. I'd imagine that would help in the flat spots a bit. I'd also do a search on the 'net for a company called Sealed Air corporation. They make that two part foam insulation that you talk about but they use it to fill those poly bags you see in shipping all the time (the kind that conform around parts). They'd be able to sell you the product. The company is located somewhere along Rt 80 in NJ (your area I believe). Of course..... I'd throw away the spray gun after using that stuff. VERY messy!

Comment

I know the stuff at home depot that you're speaking of, but its not something i'd prefer to use. I will look up the other stuff though, i still have plenty of time.

Comment

powder coat it all really Really REALLY thick! That's an insulator,no? BWAAAAA HA HA HA HA

hoo boy (wipes a tear from his eye) I kill me sometimes, I really do.

Comment

Hardy har har......how about i just coat the whole interior with halar? I think that may work better...but it may be a little out of my price range

Comment

probably be the first ever structure that costs as much per square foot as the taj mahal.... but then again, you could get hit with lightning,straight muriatic acid and hail stones the size of coffee mugs all at once and it wouldn't make a bit of difference,lol

Comment

Hey, safety first right? :P

Comment

http://www.thermica.co.uk/page44.htm ~ is that the stuff yer talking about?

Comment

I bet they want an arm and a leg for that stuff.

I used the good ole fiberglass insulation for my walls in my polishing shop. I can turn my radio up full blast and if your outside of the shop you cant hear it. It stays pretty warm in there with a little space heater. I think I may AC my shop in the summer since I dont think i'm loosing any air thru cracks or poor insulation. I still need to do the same to my roof, I dont have any insulation up there yet.

No in my conjoning car shop, I can put the radio in there on full blast and you can hear it 500 feet away from outside the shop with all doors and windows closed Its also freakin cold in there since I only have it insulated on the car shop to polishing shop wall.

Comment

Back in the 70's they used to spray the outside of domes with urethane foam. They had to paint it because of ultra violet rays would deteriorate it. I also read about using inside on a freezer storage building that cut their cooling bills way down. Don't know if it still available. Hope this helps.

Comment

Back in the 70's they used to spray the outside of domes with urethane foam. They had to paint it because of ultra violet rays would deteriorate it. I also read about using inside on a freezer storage building that cut their cooling bills way down. Don't know if it still available. Hope this helps.

Comment

I may just go with the fiberglass stuff or some sort with an adhesive backing. I have one of those prefab arch type buildings with straight walls, but its corregated and not flat persay....i'll figure something out. I to also want to AC mine in the summer...polishing and coating is bad enough, but doing it when its 100 degrees in the room is horrid!

Comment

Do you have a shop kinda like this? Or is it one of those that look like an upside down U. I'm going to encase the walls with the fiberglass insulation with wood walls. And for the celieng chicken fence wire should hold the insulation up there just fine. Then a nice ac/heater goes in with some ducting. I'll have to do some kind of tripple filter for the duct that goes into the polishing shop. I dont want the dust getting into the ac/heat unit.

This pic is from way back in June.

Comment

Working...
                              X