Has anybody tried Metalcast yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried Metalcast yet?

I must say I'm pretty impressed with this stuff. This is a mild steel tensioner pulley from a Chevy LT1 engine accessory bracket that I polished to a mirror and then layed Metalcast red over:

Not too bad huh? Have any of you guys had a chance to play around with this stuff? I'm kind've curious to see how the yellow Metalcast would look over polished aluminum.
    "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Re: Has anybody tried Metalcast yet?

That doesn't look half bad. I normally use trans. powder, but that would be easier. Let us know how it holds up. I work part time at peb boys, so I might pick up the purple.

Comment

how nicily does the metalcast go on, does it spot or anything? Also, I might try to polish a piece of steel i have and try it out. If i use a flap disc on the piece to get it shiny, what more do i need to do and what products do i need to do it?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lsw11
        how nicily does the metalcast go on, does it spot or anything? Also, I might try to polish a piece of steel i have and try it out. If i use a flap disc on the piece to get it shiny, what more do i need to do and what products do i need to do it?
        Thanks
        The Metalcast goes on surprisingly easy. It comes out in a fine mist so it's easier to control how thick you want it to go on. I did three light coats to get the finish in the pic. I noticed as I continued to add coats, the reflectivity of the polished steel underneath didn't diminish noticeably, but the red just became more deep and luxurious looking. When held at certain angles, if the light hits it just right the "bling" from the polished steel underneath still jumps out at you. It's just red bling now, if that makes sense.

As far as getting the steel polished, I sanded it to a 600 grit finish and then hit it with black emery on a sisal wheel and then finished it up with white on a spiral sewn wheel. This was done on a Caswell 2hp buffing machine. Hope that helps.
        "Some people are like sandpaper: they may delight in the misery they inflict by rubbing up against you, but in the end you will come out smooth and polished while they'll just be ugly, wrinkled, and used up." - Beyonce Knowles

Comment

Working...
        X