No announcement yet.

Tricks to minimize outgas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found that my best method for curing is to outgas at 375 for 15 minutes, than cure at 410ish. It seems to give me really good results.

Comment

Here are the steps I use when I do aluminum castings.
      #1 Degrease
      #2 Media blast with silica sand
      #3 Clean with acetone
      #4 Dry/outgas in oven at 400 for 20-25 minutes
      #5 Let part cool completely than reclean with acetone to remove any thing that may have came to the surface during drying/outgassing
      #6 Place in oven once again, this time at 375 for 10 minutes
      #7 Remove part and coat before the temp drops below 150 so that it will pull the coating into the pours of the casting.
      #8 Cure part at 375 for 25 minutes
      #9 Turn off oven and alow to cool very slowly, maybe crack the door slightly.

Comment

wow.... this post is a blast from the past,huh? A basic guide ( and the "why" this happens) to this same process can be found in the tips and tricks section as well. Pretty neat to see the old posts revisited once in a while,huh? Shows you how far one has come in a short amount of time with a little help from these boards.

Comment

by the way.... Scot (rivermaster)... I havn't seen you post in a long time but by co-incidence see you here today. Funny how things happen like this. Good work on the chipper in the album,bud. Just wanted to say it was nice "seeing" you again.... Russ

Comment

OOPS! I didn't even look at the dates of the posts. I was wondering why Tom was having this kind of trouble. I was actually kind of shocked.

Comment

Working...
            X