No announcement yet.

black base coat before extreme chrome?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black base coat before extreme chrome?

Hi all,
    I read somewhere about using a gloss/wet black base coat before applying extreme chrome. I've searched forums and Google but I can't find where I originally read it. As anyone done this? I have several parts prepped and ready for powder, however if laying down a black base coat somehow enhances the chrome I would definitely like to do it. I read the "sticky" on applying extreme chrome but I'm not sure how the black base would fit into that. My real question would be whether the black should be only a partial cure before applying chrome, or should it be cooled to room temp before shooting the chrome. I have the EZ50 Redline so I don't have to worry about having to hot flock. Also what kind of black would be ideal?,(gloss black, super wet black, ect.). Is a certain black ideal for this? Any info anyone could throw my way would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: black base coat before extreme chrome?

Don't know why you would use a gloss black. A basic flat black maybe, to keep the part from out gassing, as chrome seems to like to do that from time to time. As for second coats, I seems to be the general idea, to get a cross link (bond) that a partial cure on the first and letting it cool, second coat and full cure. A Gloss Black won't improve the chrome pop. It is what it is.
    Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

Thanks. So the idea would be to lay down a flat black, let it partial cure, then apply the extreme chrome (as per sticky thread), let it fully cure, cool to room temp, reheat to 150F ,then apply the clear?

Comment

I have used the same clear and followed the same sticky you refer to. In that case I had good luck with it as is. But I haven't tried that chrome with a base. But don't know why it wouldn't work. Flat black's seem to stop a lot of out gassing. Otherwise you can shoot it without a base and see how it goes, as it worked for me as I said. If you use a base, try to use the same type powder for linking.
        Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

I tried it out of curiosity, and in my side-by-side comparisons of a piece with a black base and a piece without one, they looked exactly the same.

Comment

Thanks. Guess there's really no reason to waste the powder or the time and labor involved if it doesn't accomplish anything. Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
            X