noob

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob

hi my name is donovan i am a noob with some questions i want to get to know as much as i can i have plans of opening a company soon
    what is the diff between a box fed gun and a fluidizer hopper
    how long can powder stay on the shelf for
    what are the colors that you would have if you open a bizz.
    can b17 use on all metals
    what is a cleaner degreaser prep that can be used on all metals
    are badboy blasters good BADBOY Blasters, Inc.
    can you recommend a better big blaster
    should you prim all metals prier to main coating if so with what
    i like pptp is there any better mafg.
    there are so many difrent types of powders is there like a chart i could look at to under stand
    hibrid
    poliester
    ect.
    i can name them all if you would like
    thanks agin donovan
    Last edited by slayer88; 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM.

Re: noob

Originally posted by slayer88 View Post
    hi my name is donovan i am a noob with some questions i want to get to know as much as i can i have plans of opening a company soon
    what is the diff between a box fed gun and a fluidizer hopper
    how long can powder stay on the shelf for
    what are the colors that you would have if you open a bizz.
    can b17 use on all metals
    what is a cleaner degreaser prep that can be used on all metals
    are badboy blasters good BADBOY Blasters, Inc.
    can you recommend a better big blaster
    should you prim all metals prier to main coating if so with what
    i like pptp is there any better mafg.
    thanks agin donovan
    Curious little critter,....

A box fed gun is a gun with a table built under the control box, that allows you to pick up and shoot powder directly from the box. A fluidized hopper set-up is a little more complex, but also a little more versatile.... not a lot mind you, but enough to be significant for those using them for whatever reason they have..... Box feed and large hopper units are designed with large qty batch coating or line coating as it were,... but both can be adapted really well to custom coating. This discussion could take a long time in and of itself dso I'll stop there.

Powder shelf life is dependent on how it's stored..... as well as the manufactured chemical make-up, and a lot more variables..... the typical manufacturer gives shelf life of their own powders and can range from 6 months to a year or so from them..... Once it's outta their hands, it can be a bit of a **** shoot.... but most resellers are doing a good job of moving the powders and not letting them get old on their shelves...... Special pricing will come along and help move it if it's sitting too long.... Other than that, Shelf life can be indefinite.... I have some that is over 6 years old,... still shoots fine....

The most common colors seem to be Black, silvers and clears.... several variations of each would be a smart move, as well as things you feel are likely to be favorites among your customers.... But rest assured,.... you cannot have too many black powders (at least several gloss levels and textures). Clears are a bunch too, and have different uses and appearances as well,..... look around at all the colors of silver and sparkle silver and wheel silver and all that and try a few out and see how they work for your base of customers too......

B17 is not a good choice on Magnesium parts,.... some aluminum alloys are a bit dainty for the B17 too, but if you are not leaving them in the cauldron too long, most can be stripped in it anyway.... just don't dump the $2000 bike frame in it and walk away for a day or more,..... That would be the expensive lesson for sure.....

I'm staying away from the "prep" liquids,.... de-greaser can be very specific for what you're trying to remove,.... IP (Iron Phosphate) is a good idea for a variety of reasons also,.... Maybe someone will come in and chat a bit more about the IP stuff and the process... I do not use IP.... I blast everything I do for a profile for the powder to "grip" instead.... I have found that there is not ONE WAY to do nearly everything,.... Some things require heavy duty stuff where a light wipe down with alcohol or Acetone works for others.

Although the Bad Boy Blasters are OK,... there are much better available. Try TP tools . com and check out their stuff.... I recommend buying the best you can afford,... if that's a Bad Boy,.. so be it.... Not my recommendation,..... but I digress,... as I still use the Harbor freight 40 lb blast cabinet,... I'm getting by, but would love to have another larger cabinet working for me right now,..... Can't manage a frame in my cabinet at all.... Child's bicycle maybe.....

The application (What the finished product will be used for) helps determine whether the parts need a primer or not.... but all parts need prep.... If the part is to be used on a vehicle, the exact application may dictate the need for primer or not also... Wheels that are going to be used in a coastal environment,... I'd receommend ALL Types of corrosion resistant treatments,... IP, and Primer. Zinc rich for Steel,... Epoxy ZINC FREE for alloys. The zinc will react with the alloy and cause corrosion instead of prevent or deter it.

There are about 20 sellers of powder online. PBTP is one,.... Caswell is another Good one.... A new one is Powder365.com,.... Tiger Drylac will sell direct to you,... order by calling their numbers on the website...... Sherwin Williams will sell here locally as long as you are buying a 55 lb box or more.... don't limit yourself to just one supplier.... They all offer something that the others don't.....

Keep the questions coming and join a few other forums too..... PBTP and Powder365.com both have good forums,.... The best oven forum is right here on Caswell's site....

Good luck.
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

thanks that helps a lot if any one would like to help out on ip would there be a better way, what i am thinking is i will get the parts put them in the b-17 or ?strip 2000? then sand blast, and the one step before powder is where i am lost would sope and water be good to get oil dirt dust every thing els or do i need a degreaser? would it be bad to use primer all the time on every prouduct? would this be a better choice for custom painting http://www.itwgema.us/pdflibrary/man...anual12.06.pdf or this one http://www.itwgema.us/pdflibrary/man...anual12.05.pdf

if any one hase a good link to buy a dip tank i would like that
      some one wants to know if you can do flames how would you mask that

Comment

Originally posted by slayer88 View Post
        thanks that helps a lot if any one would like to help out on ip would there be a better way, what i am thinking is i will get the parts put them in the b-17 or ?strip 2000? then sand blast, and the one step before powder is where i am lost would sope and water be good to get oil dirt dust every thing els or do i need a degreaser? would it be bad to use primer all the time on every prouduct? would this be a better choice for custom painting http://www.itwgema.us/pdflibrary/man...anual12.06.pdf or this one http://www.itwgema.us/pdflibrary/man...anual12.05.pdf

if any one hase a good link to buy a dip tank i would like that
        some one wants to know if you can do flames how would you mask that
        I'm gonna recommend some classes for a start-up guy that's as green as you are. You're gonna need some basics that we haven't discussed and will likely walk by a hundred times before you run into the question that needs to be asked..... Your quick process list is very short and incomplete,.... and you "talk" as though money is no object,.... so The classes would be a very cost effective way to learn what it takes and what equipment you, specifically, will need for your coating needs.... There is a huge learning curve on the powder coating process, and you're gonna need to get some time under your belt, in order to be taken seriously as a custom coater. It sounds like you have the heart for it,... spend a little time and money learning how to do it before taking on paying pieces....or at least be ready to spend a fair bit of your own money on other people's parts, coating them for free until you have a good understanding of the processes.
        EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

Metalcraft Tools in Crossville TN has a pretty decent 3 day class you could look into. The Powder Coating Institute also has some material you might want to check out. My other recommendation, visit the forums Scott mentioned and read, read, read and then read some more.

Comment

thanks for that recomendation i am all ready signed up to take the classes me my brothere and my dad are all taking the classes
            also i have a way bigger and more complet list i was not going to post it all

Comment

Hi Donovan:

Little late to the party, but wanted to offer my $.02 concerning a good blast cabinet. Disclaimer: I work for an auto body shop, and found this thread while looking for an answer to something else.

We haven't tried BadBoy, but from what we've heard, they are pretty much the same as a Harbor Freight model. Those we have used, and found those cabinets pretty lacking. We switched last month to a blast cabinet from Raptor Blaster (they are local to us here), and we've found it to be more efficient. For one, we're not sweeping up used blast media because of leaky gaps in the doors.

Best of luck,
              Johnny

Comment

One other resource you might want to check out in 2018 is the forums at Powder Coating Planet.
                Last edited by johnnyrodz; 02-19-2018, 01:04 AM.

Comment

For those looking for powder coating classes in 2018, here are some good choices:
                  http://www.nordson.com/en/divisions/...asics-workshop

http://www.powdercoating.org/page/Workshops

https://powderx.com/training/
                  Last edited by johnnyrodz; 02-19-2018, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Powder365 is a great forum, lots of good info there.
                    Last edited by johnnyrodz; 02-19-2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X