I'm a first time powder coater. I have a quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a first time powder coater. I have a quick question

I am having a hard time getting an even coat. My question is if I coat the entire peice of metal the spot where the ground is connected doesn't get any powder on it and when it comes out I have a spot where it is bare metal. I was wondering if I did a second coat and placed the ground wire somewhere else on the part would the coat come out even? I would greatly apperciate any help any of you could give me in doing this. Thank you very much for you time.

If you did that, where would you attach the ground?
    Powder coating makes a great insulator.

Comment

Then how can I get a perfect finish on the item I am trying to powder coat?

Comment

Simply unclip the ground and from a distance lightly coat the area
        the peice should retain enough negative charge to attract powder and cover that area up.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Another way, if you hang the part from a piece of wire, is try clipping the ground to the wire. It will ground the part also, some pieces you may have a hard time getting it to stick, but for the most part it works pefectly fine.

Comment

That was another thing I was going to try doing. Here's another question. When coating something small how do you get a perfect coat on it with having any bare spots?

Comment

Ahhh, that is where the mind has to think of a way to things differently. I can't tell you how to do it, because the small parts are the ones that make you scratch your head! The best way to do them is just do it in the least visible area, then use some touch up paint to cover the uncoated area. I know it defeats the purpose of the powder coating, but till someone invents a anti gravity spray booth and oven that will be all ya can do. Tiger drylac sells paint that match some of the colors they sell, so take their word for it.

Comment

That's what I have been doing. Sure would be nice if there was a anti gravity sparay booth and oven.

Comment

Working...
                  X