lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lamp

hey i cant find a oven and if i do they are too expencive. So i think im gonna go with a lamp. Would a 1500 watt lamp be good? i would do r/c parts and i want to see if it would be good. I have a question about them too, if i would buy 1 lamp wont i need 2 for one on each side? If not then how would i do it with 1 lamp?

assuming you're not trying to coat a park bench, lol....that lamp should be fine for little RC car parts and what not. You'd be surprised how hot a focused 1500 IR lamp can get. It heats what it sees,basically (ergo....don't put your hand in front of them too long or you'll be surprised right quick). When one side of your part is almost cured, rotate it 180 degrees and bake the other side. Assuming that's a flat piece, mind you. OR...one can be very inventive and find an old record player, hang upside down and find some way to make an inverted turntable/carouself to hang the parts from? I dunno....never tried that one to be honest. But then again.....necessity IS the mother of invention,yes? As long as it's a low/no buck trial...I say do it all and stop at what works best for your applications. Of course..... come back and post the results for all to share, no matter how unkosher they may be. Good luck.....Russ

Comment

k i will try it, my birthday is on october 31st so im gonna get a powder coating kit then and with the money i get i will get the lamp and all of the other stuff. I already have 2 very powerful air compressors i just need a and blasting cabinet and i will be set. Thanks for your help. I dont feel like spending like 500 dollers on a oven when im only doing R/C parts lol

Comment

Hey Monster, I picked an old oven off the curb on trash day. That's what a lot of us hobbyists use. Works great, and is *way* cheaper than a IR lamp. I invested in a can of Easy-Off oven cleaner, and an oven thermometer from the hardware store. Total cost $10. Keep it in the garage, though. Don't cure powder inside your house. The fumes are not too bad, but it's definitely a garage process and not a "in-the-house" process.

Practice on some scraps first, just to get the hang of it. After awhile, all your friends will be asking you to coat their parts too. It's easy to do, and looks great. Good luck!

Hemi-T

Comment

k thanks, yea i woulkd do it in the garage with plenty of ventilation.

Comment

I'm with Hemi on this one,bud.....explore all opportunities with a standard oven first. Maybe salvation Army? I dunno. The IR lamp will definately work for you in the manner which I said....but you can always graduate to that later if your needs expand. Remember folks....while they may not always be the best, no buck/low buck solutions are always a good place to start. After all.....if it doesn't work, what did it really cost you but valuable learned experience ........Russ

Comment

Lamp problems

Hi guys,
              I purchased a curetek 1500 watt lamp about 9 months ago and have yet to get the thing to cure powder . I place the part (the last case was motorcycle rims) about 3-6 inches from the bulb (almost against the metal grill) and the hottest it would get was 240 degrees .

Am I doing something wrong or can this thing not cure powder?

Please let me know if anyone has some suggestions!

Sincerely,
              Paul

Comment

Hey powdercoatingpros did you get your lamp working yet? im thinking about getting a lamp like you got but if you can't get it to work im not going to spend the money on it.
                WARCHILD

Comment

I'm kinda curious about this myself as to what happened. Workable distance from part to lamp should be about 12-14 inches (depending upon what lamp you ordered and what substrate you were trying to coat). Also.... how did you know it reached what temperature it did? Curious about that as well. Sounds like maybe one of the bulbs was out? I dunno.... just odd to not have it do what it's supposed to do is all. Let us know what's up please.

Comment

I just got the M-1500 cure lamp from caswell and tryed it last night. i used the flat black powder then put the lamp on it and it just flowed out the powder but didn't cure it. i left the lamp on it up to 15-20min at 8-10'' away from part and still didn't work. i had to put my part in the oven to cure it. did i do anything wrong. I will try agin later and see if i can get it to work.
                    WARCHILD

Comment

i would really like to know about the lamps
                      they are alot better for my application where i need them , but if they dont work, they would not do me any good
                      are the gas ones any better than the electric?

Comment

I tryed the lamp agin at 6'' away for 8 min then for 20 min. and it still didn't work.
                        WARCHILD

Comment

We used to use the IR lights at the car manufacturing plant where I work at. Now we just use the hand held ones. I've found out that using the big IR's only; wouldn't cure, especially with a thick coat, we're talking about wet spray paint. I like to use the hand held ones to flash the solvents out, then use a heat gun or regular lamp panel,has 8 sun lamp like bulbs, to cure. Some times small areas, like door jambs or small blends, will cure out with the IR. Hope this sheds a little light on the subject,lol! Steve

Comment

warchild... the powder flowed out and you had the lamp there for 10-15 minutes but it didn't cure? Explain in a little more detail please. Was it a clear and it cracked or something? How do you know you didn't have a full cure? Just curious.

Comment

I used the FLAT BLACK POWDER and it came out with a gloss look to it. and i used the same powder in the oven and it came out flat black like it was supose to do. i will try to post a pic of 4 things i did. 2 in oven and 2 with lamp in the Album.
                              WARCHILD

Comment

Working...
                              X