No announcement yet.

compressor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's got a good hum to it, lol... that's for sure. After a while I guess you get used to it and it just becomes one of those acceptable background noises. This is why I always suggest rotary screw type compressors as opposes to piston type. A little more expensive but the added bonuses are sooooo worth it. Quieter, quicker reclaim on lost air pressure, ease of maintenance,etc. Of course... they cost a wee bit more. There's no major difference between 115V and 220V as far as sounds goes, I believe. Noise is noise, so they say. Perhaps a decibel here or there, but you'll not notice the variance.

Comment

hmmm, decisions,decisions,decisions

cheers & happy thanksgiving to all

Comment

If you get a quality brand compressor, chances are it will be a lower rpm motor....between 1250-1725 rpm or so....this will actually be a bit quieter than a 110 compressor which usually run at a real high rpm to make up for its lack of power. The lower the rpm, the longer the life and quieter it is

Comment

Running a outlet for your a equipment and having it hard wired is a great idea but dont do it becuase you think it will have a problem running on a extension cord. The trick here is not to use smaller wire than you are plugging your cord into and making sure you put a bigger breaker in that will carry the extra load (if you have to at all). I know we have all used an extension cord at one time or another had had it get hot especially those 50 to 80 fts. the reason for this is not the lenght of cord but that the cord is made of wire that is smaller than what it is plugged into. (yes I know that their is more too this and eventually on very long power runs you need to go bigger to maintain line consistincy but I am assuming your not trying to run down to the end of your 400ft building and put a compressor in the farthest corner)
          Just think of a cord or hard wire outlet as the same as long as you use the same or bigger wire.
          I use cords for everything be smart and dont over load your system and you can run a cord quite a ways.
          with a cord in the garge you will find it nice later when you add a arc welder wire feed hot tank etc. I use a 75ft cord just on my miller 210 wire feed alone. without the reach of the cord I would be limited to what I can get to to weld.
          also another thought that just came to me is a gas powered compresser my brother has one of these at his house. works great and he can take it with him when he needs to. a small gas compressor is a few horse power right out of the gate and they have very fast recovery. he actually has a propane tank he bought at lowes or home depot (100 gallon). he just tied the tank into the system and it gives him a tremdous amount of voume and he has no problems at all blasting. (he is a plater)
          by using a propane tank you can have a bigger system for less money. Its always cheaper when you do it yourself. well most of the time.
          one last thing that i think everybody could benifit from is a good line air dryer. I am a diver and use a hooka system on my boat. hooka is where you are connected to a compressor all the time so you do not need tanks and you can stay as long as you like under. so for a air dryer in the compressor we simply go down to the home depot and buy a 2inch copper pipe about as long as two tampons long and the end peices that you solder on that gives you threads on both ends and also the caps that thread onto the ends that make it look like a pipe bomb. now just drill and solder one brass air line fitting in both end caps and connect it between your line and compressor and stuff it full of tampons loosely ( nut snug). This will give you two things the best dry air you could ever have for a few dollars and a reason to kepp the wife. no man in his right mind would ever go into a store and purchase tampons.
          Thier are only two real sports!
          boxing and auto racing
          all the rest are just games.

Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

thanks 11111111
            i had thought of a gas unit, i guess you would have to have it outside as the noise would deafen you, or is there some way to suppress the noise? & then there's the neighbours to worry about if you can't quieten it down,the mobility aspect has my interest though.
            are you diving abs, or do you do salvage work?

Comment

neighbors dont want to hear it trust me. electric is the way to go if noise is a issue.
              you can install a outlet yourself in a couple hours for about 75$ or have someone do it for you for another 150$. Or you can go to home depot and buy the cord in bulk and make a extension cord and use the dryer or stove outlet. I would recomend the outlet its very easy and it adds so much to your garage.
              If you dont have 220 in the garage how do you cook your parts?
              A quik note I was just at home depot and they have deal going until dec 31st all compressors come with lifetime service contract if you buy it by the 31st. not bad
              Jeff
              Thier are only two real sports!
              boxing and auto racing
              all the rest are just games.

Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

Yep, wiring a 220 line is simple. Mereley need a 2 pole breaker, a length of 8-10 gauge wire, an outlet and some large staples. Just make sure you know what you're doing and dont fry yourself. 110 makes you feel funny, but 220 will knock you on your butt

Comment

i will check out home depot tomorrow about that deal.
                  i have my stove wired so it works on 115v
                  i think i will probably go with extension lead, untill i get permanent space for compressor.
                  cheers

Comment

HELP!!!!!
                    found out through C/H tech, i should not wire 230v compressor any more than 10 feet from power box i need 28 feet.
                    10 feet means i will have compressor out side utility room, i will get divorced if i do this
                    2nd choice is 20 gallon oiled, or 28 gallon oil free(noisy) which i can keep from unduly annoying anyone inside house

any advice?

Comment

You can always wire a breaker box inbetween the main box. Basicaly use say a 50 amp breaker in the main box, run a wire 15 feet into a smaller box with a 30 amp or so, than from there to your compressor. You'll be fine. 10 feet is BS, how many people have there electric oven wired 10feet from their main panel? I bet not many.

Comment

Duke... you can go more than 10 feet from the main. Whoever told you that was full of it. Just use a heavier gauge wire to have no loss of amperage and you'll be fine. I was at an old coating shop of mine on MOnday and the ovens there are (some of them anyways) at least 50 feet away from the mains. You'll do just fine, don't worry.

Comment

WHEWWW!!!!!!
                          thanks guys , i was thinking of doing it anyway, but i needed you guys to confirm that he was "full of it"
                          i feel so much better knowing you guys are there to fall back on

cheers duke.

Comment

I wouldn't say he was "full of it".... maybe just covering his own keyster for selling you stuff. But we're talking the real world here and if what he said was true, EVERYTHING would be within 10 feet of the main panel,right? Heavier gauge wire and you won't have a problem. I assure you. By the way..... we like falling back on your insight as well,mate

Comment

If you do have any doubts, or you notice the line gets hot while being used....just do what i said and throw a box inbetween the 2 lines, if anything, the smaller panel will blow before the larger and not cause as many problems

Comment

You can go as far as you want from the box if you use the correct wire.
                                Do you think the put boxes every ten feet in factories?? Nope just grab some more conduit and go however far you need?

Comment

Working...
                                X