Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well do coatings hold up to detergents & washing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well do coatings hold up to detergents & washing?

now that I have actually coated some pieces-I want to know how well do the coatings hold up to off-the-shelf spray on cleaners like Liquid Performance spray-on, and foaming engine de-greasers as well as pressure washing?

nutty
    SouthWest Powderworx
    Tyler Nutter
    www.swpowder.com
    myspace/swpowder
    [email protected]
    sigpic

pressure washing is fine. Unless the coating is compromised somewhere and it can get underneath and lift... you won't have many problems there.

I wouldn't use oven cleaner on much of anything besides ovens,personally. Windex, car wash soaps,etc.... all are fine on a powder coated surface. Personally... I wouldn't use much of anything else on them anyways because it's simply not needed. You've created a pinhole free surface that basically nothing can stick to unless compromised... so agressive cleaners and solvents aren't required. Simple green diluted is another good thing to use if something gets dirty. Just remember to use no bristle brushes or anything like steel wool on your coated surfaces (treat it like you are cleaning a painted surface) and you'll do just fine.... Russ

Comment

Powder coatings have excellent resistance to cleaners and detergents. just remember to use a nice soft terry clothe towel. I'd also recommend putting a clear coat on your parts for added protection and to help hide very minor perfections. You can always use a paint cleaner on the clear coat to "buff" out scratches, like you would on a car's paint. BMW and Volvo actually experiment and use powder applied clear coats on there cars....just something i read in good old cyberspace.

Comment

cleaners and detergents meaning mild things like windex etc ...dont go spraying engine degreaser and other harsh chemicals on the powder....sorry just clearing that up.

Comment

coo-thanks guys.

nutty
          SouthWest Powderworx
          Tyler Nutter
          www.swpowder.com
          myspace/swpowder
          [email protected]
          sigpic

Comment

I've been using the engine degreaser at the DIY car wash on my engine with lots of powder coated parts for about 4 months. So far, it doesn't seem to bother it. We'll see what happens over the next few years

Hemi-T

Comment

Windex and some soft terry clothe are what i use...dont use paper towels....they seem to leave to many hairline scratches, or so it seems.....simple green is also great stuff....its what i use in my parts washing tanks

Comment

Working...
              X