Hanging a Motorcycle Frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging a Motorcycle Frame

I will soon be powder coating a motorcycle frame for the first time in my 4'x4'x6' oven. I have a rolling rack that I can hang the frame from, but I need some ideas on how to do it. Should I use a piece of threaded rod through the steering stem neck with large washers and nuts? I can make hooks from heavy gauge drop ceiling wire to handle in a variety of other ways too. If you have a picture or two of how you do it, please feel free to share.

Thanks!

Hang and do several "dry runs" loading and unloading it, to insure you will not have issues with it swinging and hitting the sides of the oven or cart. I always hung frames angled from back to front, and secured the lower part to a specific bar attached across the cart just for the occasion. I have pics somewhere, but am currently one of the billions of idiots trying to figure out how best to handle my photos online, since Photobucket has gone Stupid.
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

As you suggested, I did the dry run several times to make sure the frame wouldn't bump or swing wildly during it's roll into the oven. I did the final prep work Friday evening and very early Saturday morning I shot a coat of zinc primer and then the final coat of gloss black. The frame came out beautiful and we're already underway with final assembly.

Why anyone would want to paint a frame when you can have durable and awesome results like this baffles me. A serious restoration should be done right!

Comment

Working...
      X