Too hot for powder coat. Motorcycle mufflers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too hot for powder coat. Motorcycle mufflers

I had some slip on mufflers that were powdercoated for my motorcycle. I was insured it should hold up fine. After 100 miles they started to show signs these weren't going to be pretty long. I am planning to get them ceramic coated. But my question is if I continue to ride my bike will the powder get hot enough where it becomes sticky again and bond to other parts of the motorcycles painted surfaces. I didn't know how powdercoat was, if it would start flying off the exhaust going down the highway and stick to other areas of the bike?

Powder coating is generally Thermoset, not thermoplastic, so shouldn't get soft and adhere to other items... at least not in a bonded type manner. Powder was not meant for the temps Mufflers and Exhaust members create. Ceramic is a good idea but you may find it will discolor as well... it will hold up better if you get the right stuff applied... but I have personally seen some discoloration on exhaust, no matter the coating, including chrome... Can't imagine anything that won't show heat color change that is consumer available and affordable.
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

My main concern was it coming off and bonding with other parts of the motorcycle. So this shouldn't happen?

Comment

Originally posted by breakout View Post
        My main concern was it coming off and bonding with other parts of the motorcycle. So this shouldn't happen?
        It shouldn't create a very good bond if it does fail and come off... Most powders are The thermosetting type (most common amongst typical custom coaters at least). I would be a little surprised to see any significant bond form on adjacent parts... but I suppose it could happen due to specific situations...

Again...
        Thermosetting means it does not re-melt when heated... It means it cures permanently to a solid film

Thermoplastic means it does melt when re-heated. It also will re-flow and create a bond with a second substrate as long as the temp stays below the flow state of the powder.

Comment

So more than likely the powdercoat would just fly off the mufflers and not become "sticky" again. Where it sticks to other surfaces.

Comment

correct... I was concerned that you were worried about the mating surfaces having coating transfer from the flange of the exhaust to the adjoining surface, and couldn't figure out how that would be an issue, but your concern stated that way makes me comfortable that you will now understand... if it flakes off... it should just fly away and have no residual issue with surrounding surfaces.

Comment

Well speaking of adjoining surfaces. When I took the powdercoated muffler off the steal header pipe. The pipe had powdercoated stuck all around where the muffler was clamped to it. So is that normal for it to transfer like that? It was a really hot surface and they where clamped together.

Comment

Pretty normal for any kind of coating (including Cad plating and zinc plating) to transfer between mating surfaces on a hot connection like that... not ideal at all, but you have to expect some stuff to transfer in that kind of environment. I'd call you lucky if there was none ever.

Comment

I wasn't worried about that really. I just wanted to determine if that powdercoat you were speaking of about not turning back into a sticky state did that. I was mainly concerned about it getting hot and blowing to other surfaces and sticking. That could be a way bigger issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X