Announcement

Collapse

CASWELD Our new 'Welding' rods

Introducing our latest range of Welding and brazing rods, for the repair of Pot Metal, Aluminum, Stainless and much more.

Please see our web page for details.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...ding-rods.html
See more
See less

Blast Media Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast Media Recommendations

For years I've been using 70 grit aluminum oxide to blast the parts I powder coat. This includes painted, bare, rusted or oxidized steel or aluminum. It works well and I've never had any issues with it. I'm just wondering if there's a better media or grit size that's a better choice. Tractor Supply sells 50lbs of black beauty for $7.99, but I understand that it breaks down faster than aluminum oxide. Is this a good alternative? Suggestions and advice are appreciated and thanks.

Black Beauty is almost a One-Use blast media in a Pressure blaster. Maybe a couple of rounds in the Siphon cabinets. 70 grit sounds like a bit of a stretch for most anything as far as profile. Seems too aggressive and can cause issues getting a smooth coat. Most use 100 grit... some use 80 grit and reuse it until it's a little used up but around 100 is best for most applications. The black beauty breaks down to be something like 120-140 grit after 2 rounds and will remove paint and some surface rust, but it really doesn't give much of a profile once it's been through the blaster once or twice (depending on type of blasting equipment). If I'm going with single cycle blast media, I sometimes use Crushed glass as well, outside in my pressure blasting rig. It's cheap and effective. I only use it on steel though. As far as I'm concerned there's not really a single "best" media. Some things require special attention or more aggressive means... it's your call.
    sigpic

See photos of my work on Facebook "Scottrods Powder Coating"

EMAIL [email protected]

Comment

I'd rather pay more for the AlOx rather than have to keep changing out the media. My finishes have always come out nice, but if 100 grit will give me a better profile, I'm all for switching over. Where's the best place to get this for a reasonable price in 50lb qtys? Shipping can be a bummer on this stuff.

Thanks!

Comment

I found a local Abrasives supply house. Sandpapers of Texas is my supplier. I drive to their warehouse and pick it up myself. There's likely a wholesaler near you if you're in a major city. If not, it might be worth looking into as an addition to any foray into the closest city...
        sigpic

See photos of my work on Facebook "Scottrods Powder Coating"

EMAIL [email protected]

Comment

I know the general manager of a large local PC shop. She'll be able to tell me where they get their blast media since they buy it by the pallet. Maybe they'll even sell me a bag.

Comment

Working...
          X