Super High Gloss Black - best choice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super High Gloss Black - best choice?

I've used Columbia's super mirror black powder as well as Cardinal's P009-BK180. Both are very glossy and look awesome, but both have two issues. The first is that you can put tiny scratches in the finish and the second is that if you have sharp edges in your metal, it takes two coats for best coverage. The powder likes to pull away from the edges. A large, local PC shop showed me a similar finish he used on some Harley wheels and it looks great, covers well, and doesn't scratch. He said he had the same problem with other finishes and searched high and low until he found this one. Unfortunately he won't divulge his source, so I have to find it myself. Suggestions? And yes, the parts are getting fully cured. I've done lots of experiments with cure time and have had no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Super Durable Gloss black... Higher pencil hardness to reduce scratching (however, none will prevent ALL Scratches) Or use a clear that is super durable over a Black that is compatible.

As a quick example, you can pretty much use any black as a base as long as the finish is what you want... once the clear is laid down and cured. Flat Black will work great with a good glossy clear... I used to use Only Ink Black with Clear vision from Prismatic Powders... I won't give you the misconception any are perfect, but the harder the finish the fewer scratches will be noticed. Like Urethane Clears and on occasion, A Super Durable would be my choice. Super durable clear would be my direction with a base of the darkest black I could find. I Like Tiger's Bengal black pretty well..
    If you shoot the clear over a black, Sand with 200 grit paper before applying the top coat... works wonders.
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
      Super Durable Gloss black... Higher pencil hardness to reduce scratching (however, none will prevent ALL Scratches) Or use a clear that is super durable over a Black that is compatible.

As a quick example, you can pretty much use any black as a base as long as the finish is what you want... once the clear is laid down and cured. Flat Black will work great with a good glossy clear... I used to use Only Ink Black with Clear vision from Prismatic Powders... I won't give you the misconception any are perfect, but the harder the finish the fewer scratches will be noticed. Like Urethane Clears and on occasion, A Super Durable would be my choice. Super durable clear would be my direction with a base of the darkest black I could find. I Like Tiger's Bengal black pretty well..
      If you shoot the clear over a black, Sand with 200 grit paper before applying the top coat... works wonders.
      All good advice. I have plenty of super durable clear and many different blacks, so I'll have to experiment. After sanding with 200 grit, what do you wipe down with? A damp microfiber cloth or do you just blow it off with compressed air?

Thanks.

Comment

I wipe down with Denatured Alcohol and allow to dry fully... A quick torching to remove any fuzzies will be a good idea as well before the top coat.
        EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
        X