DIY oven questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY oven questions

Hi, I'm new here and after reading several articles about DIY ovens I have some questions. I've only done limited powedecoating on several engine parts like intake manifolds, valve covers and timing covers in an older kitchen oven. They came out really nice and of course I want to do more and larger items. I recently built a new garage where I can work on my hotrod and start doing metal fabrication and welding projects for some of my car buddies. Custom aluminum dashboards and center consoles, and larger suspension parts like axle housings, driveshafts, A-arms, and sway bars are some items guys want coated.

The stove I bought is actually an over and under double oven with separate controls and timers. My plan is to use the heating elements and controls to make an oven large enough to hold a 66" long rear axle housing suspended from an overhead track that would facilitate moving heavy objects from the powdercoating booth to the oven. Since I have 2 sets of elements and controls I would make 2 heating chambers separated by an insulated divider so that I could do smaller items without heating the entire area.

The base frame would be constructed out of metal framing studs, utilize ducting and fans to circulate the air, and illuminated. My questions have to do with fireproof/heat reflecting materials to line the inside of the oven. Most of the DIY units I've seen have used some type of metal like galvanized steel, stainless steel, or aluminum. I was wondering if anyone here has used sheets of cement board, sometimes called backer board. It is virtually fireproof with a 2 hour burn-thru rating and is used often when building fireplaces or making a heat reflecting wall behind a wood stove. It is relatively inexpensive and comes in 3'x5' sheets. I understand that it does absorb some heat and allows it to pass through the panel. I was thinking of using a heat reflective mat that is often used in the auto industry to protect wiring and fuel lines and tanks from exhaust heat. They advertise the ability to reflect 90% of radiant heat to 1500 degrees. The heat reflecting mat would also provide a smooth, shiny surface to the inner walls.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Thanks
Working...
X