Newbie questions about Powder Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions about Powder Coating

Hi, I just recently learned about powder coating and am more than little excited about the potential of the technology.

I do have a few questions I thought I'd ask before I invest any $$ here.

I'll just list them here:

1.) Can you mix powders to create new colors as you can with paint?

2.) Can I do multiple colors on the same piece of metel? More specifically, i want to have the background of something black, and then a logo red. Can I apply powder on top of another?

3.) Being a newbie, can I get buy with a $100-200 coater vs. the $500-$1000? Whats the difference?

4.) How do the lights compare to ovens? If I have an unused electric oven will that work out fine?

I think that's all I have now, but I promise I'll be in here often if once I purchase the correct equipment.

Thanks!
    Thirdlife Creations
    www.thirdlifecreations.com

Welcome to Powder coating and here is an answer to your ?'s in order

1. Most powders, when mixed will give you a mottled appearance, or salt and pepper look. Take Green and Red for example, you will see spots of green and red, not a combination of the two, I think that would make purple. You would not see purple, maybe some here or there, but not a complete shade of that color.

2. Multiple colors? Yes, but there are limitations to this as well, the powder sticks to the piece via electrostatic charge. So if your part is not completely grounded, or the powder not enough charge, then you will have problems applying two or more coats. But, yes you can do it.

3. The more expensive guns have a higher Kv (electrical power) they can put "into" the powder. It makes for faster more even layer of powder sprayed onto your part. Also, it has features that allow it "easier" to apply powder in difficult areas Faraday cages, two-coats etc...Buy the cheaper gun, and try your hand at it. You may find that that is all you need.

4. The IR lights heat the part on the surface, which cures the powder faster. The ovens heat the part from the metal out. IR lights are like radiant heaters, they heat objects in the room. Ovens are like forced air heat in your home, they heat the air in the room, which heats the part. Ovens are easier to use since you put the part in it, and cure that way. IR lights you have to move around the part to heat all surfaces. Electric ovens work fine.

Comment

Thank you for answering those questions for me.

I am extremely intested in this technology and just ordered some powder. I have a friend's powder I can borrow until after xmas when I will order my own.

You an expect to see me around in here often, since this seems to be the best place to find expirenced coaters and hobbiest alike.

Thanks Again!
      Thirdlife Creations
      www.thirdlifecreations.com

Comment

Thirdlife.... welcome to "da boards". I have no doubt you'll love being here as much as we do. Always something new to learn and think about no matter your level of expertise.

1) Powders are a "dry mix" kinda thing. If it helps you... think of it this way : when you mix powdered sugar and baking soda.... you still have just powdered sugar and just baking soda. They only happen to be near one another in a way. Powders area lot like that in a way. Blue will still be blue, and red will still be red. From a distance the colours may blend... but when you get close up to it (maybe within 10 feet) you'll be able to tell that it's a "speckled" mixture. With the availablity of colours out on the market today and all of the neat things you can do with them..... it's best to keep using red as red, and blue as blue. If you want a purple... there's no doubt about 100 shades available to you out there.

2) ehhhhhh, yes and no. This process requires a delicate touch and a lot of practice. I know what you're asking and yes... although it is indeed possible, for a beginner it's best you stick with the solid colours and such before you go "selectively" coating things. You'll see what I mean in due time on your own. I have no fears you'll basically answer your own question on that one soon enough.

3) If you're referring to the "hobbyist" model at a lower price and the hobbyist model at a more expensive price. The answer is no. Just a price difference. They both basically charge a powder at one pre-set level and you coat with it. You start seeing a diffrence when you get to the professional series of guns..... Currently there are none under 2900 being offered. I have a feeling that's going to change shortly though (evil grin). The "professional" models have all sorts of neat things. Larger hoppers, adjustable voltages, etc. Start with the basics of the Caswell gun first. As the pictures here in the album can attest.... you'll be very happy with it, I promise you.

4) there's a thread here that is quite lengthy about the virtues of both types of curing methods. It's an age-old debate between indirect heat and direct IR lamp. There's no right or wrong answer..... just what suits your needs best. If you have fishing lures.... by all means a "kitchen oven" will work best for you. If you are doing car frames and don't have 15,000+ dollars and very little space.... IR is the answer. Tell me what you're coating and we'll help guide you best how to get it done,basically.

Again.... welcome and congrats on choosing the finest area available to learn about your new found hobby. We have no doubt it will be just as, if not more helpful to you as you gain experience due to the fact that some things will no doubt apply to you differently at different time. Good luck..... Russ

Comment

Working...
        X