Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretreatment of Aluminized Steel????

Okay, first question ever so be gentle.
    I'm restoring a '67 Toyota FJ40 and I have access to powder gun and the following dip tanks which are used in our automated process at my new location;
    Pyrene US 1038
    Cryscoat 747 LTS
    Gardolene D 6871

We have plenty of large ovens, although they are gas. I know the fumes can be explosive but that's all I got. Dipping wouldn't be a problem but getting my parts through the automated ovens or booth would be difficult.
    I've experimented with some misc. parts and love the finish.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what kind of pretreatment would allow me to powder coat or paint aluminized 17ga sheet metal.
    Thanks for the help,
    Brog

Bump

No takers??

Is it generally thought of as a bad idea to powder over aluminized??
    Thanks,
    Brog

Comment

generally speaking, coating over another coating is not a "desirable" thing to do in most instances. I'm sure it can be done 1,000 times and only 1 of those times you will have a problem... so I say not to because experience dictates every time I open my mouth, YOU happen to be that 1 time,lol.

Do you have an option to sandblast the substrate? If not.... I'd try just sanding the part down with some fine grit paper (assuming it's a piece of flat stock sheet metal) for light surface modification and then coating it. Do you have any specifics to share with us? Sizes,shapes,etc. Also.... what do you intend for it's end use? Epoxy coatings work best inside due to the fact that they are chemically resistant, but poly coatings work outside because they are UV resistive,etc. I wouldn't worry too much about how the oven is heated (gas or electric) as both types are used industrially all over the world. Just make sure your powder has a good charge to it and of course, there is no major gust of air hitting the part to blow the powder off. ( speaking in terms of "moreso" than a typical convection system). Is it necessary to dip the parts in those solutions? A mild cleaning with standard solvent is more than enough to strip your substrate of any greases/oils I'd think. If you must.... pick the solution that is more friendly to being gentle and then leave it at that. Any more than that is leaving "smut" on your part and could react in a contraindicative manner to what yo wish to acheive.

By the way.... welcome to "da boards"... sorry it took so long for one of us to reply. We were all probably busy out in our workshops finding something to coat

Comment

Working...
      X