This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamps-Like heating a house with the doors & windows open

I'm getting no end of people phoning up asking why they can't get their lamps to heat the parts up to the powder melt temp.

I've tried to explain that they wouldn't try to heat their house with all the doors and windows open, yet they try to do the same thing with a lamp.

The problem needs:
    1. heat containment
    2. Consideration of the total surface are (heat collecting area) available
    3. Reflectors
    etc

If anyone has any bright ideas, this is the place to put them!!!!

Thanks

(frustrated Mike)

• 2Slowty
    replied
    Re: Lamps-Like heating a house with the doors & windows open

Seriously, this plywood oven is very intriguing. lol

I would like to construct something big enough to throw 4 wheels in at a time and also big enough to fit a roll bar in.

Leave a comment:

• torq38
    replied

Originally posted by Travst View Post
    Here's my bright idea. I bought one of your Pro setups with the IR lamp. Try making it clear in the sales material that the IR lamp isn't going to work and eliminate all those calls. I've tried reflectors, enclosures, etc. and mine won't get within 125 degrees of curing temperature. Consulting the forums only confirmed that they don't work as a stand-alone solution, yet you sell them that way.

(frustrated John)

I agree with John , I also bought the pro kit , spent the extra money for the bigger IR lamp and I am not very satisfied with the way the products were advertised. Just seeing this post was started in 2004 CASWELL should have done a better job in advertising the lamps as a product that would have to be modified to use or take them out of the kits. I fill at this time That I have been a little suckered on this product and fill I will probably be looking elsewhere for my PC needs.

Leave a comment:

• bikerdad46
    replied

Hello
    omo46gg
    How about some pics of your plywood oven!! What kind of aluminium insulation sheets and where did you get it.
    You peaked our interest. Don't leave us hanging like this
    bikerdad46

Originally posted by omo46gg View Post
    Hi !
    I made a powder coat oven using plywood sheets on the outside. I use one 1500 watt lamp with a hole cut in the plywood to fit the lamp. The inside is insulated with aluminum insulating sheets and sealed. I also put a temperature probe inside connected to a temp control unit. I've been able to get up to 450 degrees %F with no problems.That was three years ago and it still works great. The cab size is 24" square 50" tall.
    Should be easy to make.

Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• manco12
    replied

Pics or or you didn't make one

Leave a comment:

• bikerdad46
    replied

Originally posted by omo46gg View Post
    Hi !
    I made a powder coat oven using plywood sheets on the outside. I use one 1500 watt lamp with a hole cut in the plywood to fit the lamp. The inside is insulated with aluminum insulating sheets and sealed. I also put a temperature probe inside connected to a temp control unit. I've been able to get up to 450 degrees %F with no problems.That was three years ago and it still works great. The cab size is 24" square 50" tall.
    Should be easy to make.

Good Luck.
    How about some pics of the plywood oven.
    bikerdad46

Leave a comment:

• omo46gg
    replied

Hi !
    Should be easy to make.

Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• manco12
    replied

Depending on the cost to do this, I might save up for a decent size shed

Leave a comment:

• SCOTTRODS
    replied

Originally posted by manco12 View Post
    Mine is more of a big go-kart type thing. I'm working on it and then I want to build my own later. The 12hp engine on my 750 pound buggy only pulls it around 30 mph

So I want to powder coat my current buggy now
    LOL,... Patience is killing you huh?

All that is above, still applies. Hopefully you can do the job and share some pictures and results with the forum.

Leave a comment:

• manco12
    replied

Mine is more of a big go-kart type thing. I'm working on it and then I want to build my own later. The 12hp engine on my 750 pound buggy only pulls it around 30 mph

So I want to powder coat my current buggy now

Leave a comment:

• SCOTTRODS
    replied

I want to powder coat my dune buggy frame. I just don't have a big enough garage though. The buggy fits in there with everything else leaving no room left. Could I use an infared heat lamp to cure powder coat outside? Would it be able to get hot enough? I can't find anything on this subject except this thread which tells me that I can't powder coat outside?

Thanks
    Once again, outdoors is not a great idea. However,.... if you can create a temporary enclosure to house the Dune Buggy frame I see no reason why you couldn't do this project. Build you a frame large enough for you and the IR lamp/s and the frame, and cover it with thick mill drop cloth plastic to give yourself a "wind resistant place to work,.... It's likely you may still get stuff in the coating finish in an unprotected environment, this should minimize that. It's gonna get hot in the "tent" so make sure you don't over do it on yourself,..... and give it SOME ventilation. Anything is possible for some energy or money... maybe even some time.

The hardest part about this project will still be preparation of the frame, for coating, without giving it time to rust...... I may do something similar to get my Dune Buggy Frame coated.... Mine is a "manx Style" dune buggy.... Yours?

Leave a comment:

• manco12
    replied

I want to powder coat my dune buggy frame. I just don't have a big enough garage though. The buggy fits in there with everything else leaving no room left. Could I use an infared heat lamp to cure powder coat outside? Would it be able to get hot enough? I can't find anything on this subject except this thread which tells me that I can't powder coat outside?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• SCOTTRODS
    replied

I guess that means you can't cure PC outside then, right?

I just started to look about powder coating last night so don't call me dumb
    The biggest problem with curing outside, would be contamination of the part during cure. You can accidentally cure powder in the sun,.... someone on one forum recently was upset because they had powder over spray on their motorcycle seat and pushed it outside in the sun, and it stuck and partially cured just from the sun and the black seat fabric/leather.... ruined the seat as far as we know.... no follow-up was done.

Leave a comment:

• manco12
    replied

I guess that means you can't cure PC outside then, right?

I just started to look about powder coating last night so don't call me dumb

Leave a comment:

• Travst
    replied

Originally posted by mcaswell View Post
    I'm getting no end of people phoning up asking why they can't get their lamps to heat the parts up to the powder melt temp.

I've tried to explain that they wouldn't try to heat their house with all the doors and windows open, yet they try to do the same thing with a lamp.

The problem needs:
    1. heat containment
    2. Consideration of the total surface are (heat collecting area) available
    3. Reflectors
    etc

If anyone has any bright ideas, this is the place to put them!!!!

Thanks

(frustrated Mike)
    Here's my bright idea. I bought one of your Pro setups with the IR lamp. Try making it clear in the sales material that the IR lamp isn't going to work and eliminate all those calls. I've tried reflectors, enclosures, etc. and mine won't get within 125 degrees of curing temperature. Consulting the forums only confirmed that they don't work as a stand-alone solution, yet you sell them that way.

(frustrated John)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X