No announcement yet.

how much heat can powder be exposed to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much heat can powder be exposed to?

i realize i need to get a high temp powder to my headers for example but regular powders ie, candy chrome ect. how much heat can it be exposed to?

http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/vi...highlight=temp

Comment

thanks...

Comment

So for engine parts such as valve covers, brackets, and intake manifolfs, would you NOT recommend powder coating?
        Some engine enamels are rated for use to 600*F....

Comment

Actually, for valve covers, intake manifolds, and brackets, powder coating works very well. It is *not* good for exhaust manifolds, though. You need ceramic coatings for that, and that's another animal altogether. Check out the "clear coat" thread and you'll see some photos of my powder coated valve covers and tunnel ram.

Hemi-T

Comment

I'm concerned about long term durability....the link mentioned above states:
            >>Polyesters should not exceed a continuous temp. of 180?F or an intermittent range of 180?-220?F
            ...Epoxies should not exceed a continuous 240?F or an intermittent range of 240?-275?F <<<

Those temp limits are significantly lower than your basic engine enamel (500-600*)....With engine water temperatures of 180- 220*F , polyester powder coating would be used in its 'breakdown range' ...Has anyone experienced degradation of powder coated engine components?
            I WILL be using powder coating on my most of my engine parts, reguardless....'experimenting' for myself!.. But I'd hate to recommend to others to powdercoat when it may may not be a good choice...
            And how resistant is PC to gas,oil, and brake fluid?

Hemi-T....your engine (and car) looks awesome!!

Walt

Comment

Working...
            X