Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Powdercoating get harder over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Powdercoating get harder over time?

I just started PCing and I did a piece of aluminum and a piece of cold rold steel. About 2 to 3 hours I started messing with the parts after they had baked and I accidentally droped the cold rold and noticed the coating had got "dented" so to say and the aluminum got fairly scratched up from me "polishing" it on my pants, could of been due to the glass oxide on my pants. Was just wondering is the powder just like paint? Does it take a while to get to full hardness like when you paint a car? Did it with a Super Mirror Blue powder.

No, I think once it has cooled, it is as hard as it will get. There are no solvents to out-gas like paint.

while more chip and dent resistent than spray-on paints, it will certainly scratch and chip easily enough.

Comment

Done is done. Mirror powders or 90%gloss+ are easier to mark or dent.

Comment

Is there anyway to add any protection to mirror or 90% gloss+ powders?

Comment

You could use an automotive clear over it so in the future it could be buffed.

Comment

Originally posted by WAORacing
            You could use an automotive clear over it so in the future it could be buffed.
            Automotive clear? You talking about just a clear coated powder? If not where can I find automotive clear at.

Comment

What i am talking about is the same clear they use on an automobile. You should be able to get that at a local auto paint store (Car-Quest ect...). And yes you can use the Powder Coat Clear over any color you want. It just really a personal preference of what you want and looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X