new oven in the work's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new oven in the work's

well it is time to either get a new one or build one ...
    this oven is gas fired (propane )
    now here is a question.
    the body it 1/8 steel skins on the inside with alum. plate on the outside
    what would you think would be the better barrier in the middle .. rock wool of that foil coated board ?
    this is based on a bbq burner setup ....

i did a test on a smaller box i built and i got the box up to 500f with no problem ...

I would think rock wool is the better way to go. I am looking into building a gas oven. The electric version kills the meter. Just looking into how many but’s are needed. Post pics when your done if you would.

Comment

Re: new oven in the work's

Originally posted by customandsound
      well it is time to either get a new one or build one ...
      this oven is gas fired (propane )
      now here is a question.
      the body it 1/8 steel skins on the inside with alum. plate on the outside
      what would you think would be the better barrier in the middle .. rock wool of that foil coated board ?
      this is based on a bbq burner setup ....

i did a test on a smaller box i built and i got the box up to 500f with no problem ...
      How big is the oven going to be?

Comment

24" wide 4' higth 8' in lenght ..... just big enought to side a cycle frame in
        i may have to go 36" wide

i also am building one 24 wide 24 deep 36 high ...

the electric prices are getting out of hand and i can get my tank's filled for 10 bucks each

Comment

What is rock wool? Also, where can you get rock wool and that foam board stuff you'te talking about?

Kris

Comment

the foam board is the foil coat stuff and the rock wool all can be had at the local home improvement store.....
            i seen a noob oven on a search that was buit out of foad board ... and yes it folded

Comment

Rock wool or mineral wool would be my insulator of choice. Rock wool comes in several "grades" or densities. A medium density should be plenty for building an oven. The other potential insulator I would consider is rigid fiberboard. It's cheap easy to get and can be stacked to increase it's efficiency. it comes in 1" and 2" thickness. I'm not sure about the rgid foam board. Even with the foil backing I would think it would break down very quickly and emit some pretty toxic fumes. I'm not sure if the foam board is made for that type of insulating. Perhaps a little research is in order.

Comment

t
                i seen a noob oven on a search that was buit out of foad board ... and yes it folded
                HEY WAS that comment pointed at ME?? hehehe I am getting ready to make something else for my operation that you all will love

Comment

Originally posted by Noob2PC
                  t
                  HEY WAS that comment pointed at ME?? hehehe I am getting ready to make something else for my operation that you all will love
                  noob yes it was here is a link: http://www.pelicanbbs.com/posts/142071.htm

it is made from fiberboard ..... and it is his spray box to ... i see bad thing at this

the wall's on my oven i figure need to be atleast 3" on the sides 2"on the front and back and 3" on the top
                  but i may be wrong

Comment

Cool, I wonder if the stuff you get a Home Depot/Lowes will withstand the heat or if he has a different product. Guess I can Try it and see if it goes POOF! You all would recommened at leat 2" thick.

Comment

Any ideas where I can get this foam board, or what brands are there? I like the idea of making the oven out of this stuff. It would make a good temporary oven until I can afford the sheet metal. (that stuff is expensive!!) I could use a double or triple burner propane IR heater. Any idea how I could regulate the temp, or would I have to just monitor it closely? I'm really glad this was brought up. Now I can do a whole subframe from my Fiero

Kris

Comment

well i was at home depot i saw the 2" for 11 bucks a sheet .. and the ir burner can be had at any sport's shop ... i am going to give this a shot .. and see what happens .... i been wanting to get around to painting my civic trunk and fender black .. so i will just try some powder on them .. i would dod the hood to but i had to fiberglass it .... stay tune for more on this ....

Comment

Whoah! What happened to the rest of the posts that were in this thread? Noob2PC and I had like 3 other posts and now they are gone. Did some one edit this? If so, could you tell me why so I don't make the same mistake?

Thanks,
                          Kris

Comment

well i was at home depot i saw the 2" for 11 bucks a sheet .. and the ir burner can be had at any sport's shop ... i am going to give this a shot .. and see what happens .... i been wanting to get around to painting my civic trunk and fender black .. so i will just try some powder on them .. i would dod the hood to but i had to fiberglass it .... stay tune for more on this ....
                            Do you know for sure if the stuff from home depot will withstand the heat? If you're not sure, please keep us posted on how well it works. I am definitely interested and may do this myself. I already have a single burner propane IR heater. I will buy another or 2 just to heat it up quicker. I'm just curious on how to control the temp other than adjusting the heater and hoping for the best.

Kris

Comment

to keep the heat at the right range .. i was looking at my little oven i got a vent on it .. that let's the cold air in and the hot out ..

as for the other post ... that was rude to take over a post with techline ... i use tech line and it works great ... the cradle from you car would look good powder coated .. i got a 86 in my yard that the craddle was coated but with the potholes it chips right off

Comment

Working...
                              X