Newbie PC Setup Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie PC Setup Help

I am new to powder coating and don't even have a gun yet. I have been looking over the forum to find the best way to go about getting started. I plan on buying the basic gun kit, however I want to figure out the oven situation before I even do that. The reason powder coating caught my attention is because I need to coat a set of headers for my car. Because of this I am going to need to start out with a fairly large oven. What is the best way to build an oven of this size on a budget of around $300.00. I am willing to spend this much because hopefully this oven will pay for itself down the road (by this I mean business from friends). Anyway, I know I can salvage some heating elements from some ovens, but I would like some input on what to build it out of and other aspects such as venting and size. I will also need to build a blasting cabinet of good size as well. Any ideas or even suggestions for someone just starting would be much appreciated. This forum has already helped a lot. Thanks!

The cheap...and dirty way to get yourself into a bigger oven is actually pretty easy........find yourself and old chest freezer, strip it down..get rid of the plastics and insulation...the insulation thats in a freezer isnt the kind to use in an oven...I use reg house insulation...pull the door seal off and rehinge the door so it fits snug again...get a couple oven elements and the thermo from it , (somewhere here there is a schematic on wiring ovens) wire it up and turn it on.........I have a oven thatsmade from two freezers married to each other..nice and deep...I have another oven I made from a commercial store coke display........look around...it doesnt have to say westing house to be an oven...just as long as it gets to temp and holds it..........
    Pro-Tech Powder Coating
    93976 Ocean Way
    541-247-8168
    [email protected]
    Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't those freezers and fridges be made out of galvanized metal? For some reason I thought I heard someone say something about galvanized metal releasing gases when heated. Correct me if I am wrong. If so, this is the way I probably will go. Thanks!

Comment

i want blademan to hook me up with the wiring for that oven ... some are plain steel ,,

Comment

chuck that wire diagram is on here somewhere..my laptop crashed and I had all the good stuff there..yea..i know..back up...just like.....ahhhh its clean... anyways ill dig up a nother one...got me a new putor and scanner.

back to the freezer........its a metal box..usually the cheapest steel...its the rubber elements and glues and insulation you need to get rid of...as for the galvanized stuff...im no where near an info source..I was told that galv steel doesnt give off the bad gas till way above powder melt...I may be wrong..but then again.......i dont sit around and watch the cookies bake..btw...the old freezer boxes i told you i made into ovens....figuar maybe twenty bucks in parts..(labor..free) ...had nothin else to do... id say profit...but its more like.in the bank and the bills are paid..off them ol junk freezers..close to 8k in the last 4 months.........pick a nich and fill it..with what ever it takes to get the job done.....as larry the cable guy would say..geterrrrrrrrrrrrr Done..............

Wayne
          Pro-Tech Powder Coating
          93976 Ocean Way
          541-247-8168
          [email protected]
          Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

Hey JNizzle:

Check out this oven: www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

It might give you some ideas.

Gary-
            Gary Brady
            www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the help guys! I did a little researching and I found that the galvanized steel doesn't give off fumes until around 850F. So, if I can't find an old freezer or fridge in the area I think I will build one out of some cheap galvanized sheet metal. Thanks again!

Comment

I am thinking an electric oven will be a little to expensive in the long run. What do you guys think of this heater for a large oven. Thanks for all the help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

The challange I see is regulating the temperature.

Comment

Working...
                  X