Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I am a novice at powder coating. I just bought a small powder coating system from Caswell. Also I bought black polyester powder. I sandblasted my first few pieces and coated them. Cured for 20 Min at 375 degrees. Pulled them out and let cool. Coating does not seem tough--they scratch easily. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to use different type of powder? Is there some product for filling in rust pits on older material?
    Thanks
    Jamey

Re: Help

Lato,
    Sounds like the powder is under cured. You want the BMT base metal temp at 375 before you start timing.
    Caswell has Lab-Metal, works great for filling defects.
    IMHO

Comment

Is it scratching through the coating or just marring the finish?

Comment

it is scratching all the way through to the metal, thanks jamey

Comment

it is scratching all the way through to the metal, thanks jamey

Comment

Then the part is under cured. Try setting the oven on 400 and cure for 30 min. The best and safest way is to use a infared temp gun for getting accurate temps on the part.

Comment

What is this Lab metal stuff Your telling me I can fill my cleaned metal where there are rust pits and get it smooth looking?? No way!!?? that would be awesome.. wHO has used this stuff Please tell :P

Comment

I've got some of it, and have been happy with the results so far. It's not for structural repairs, but for filling pits, I think you'll like it.

Comment

Working...
                X