Compressor Piping questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor Piping questions

OK Folks, I'm GETTING A NEW AIR COMPRESSOR!!! WOOHOO!!! now it it a 6.5 HP, 135 PSI, 60 Gal, 220v upright so I am going to mount in outside and run lines into the garage. I have seen people using PVC type tubes for air lines. does anyone have any links or Info they can share with me so I can figure out what I need to do that in my garage/shop.

thanks

There is a decent article about metal piping here at TP Tools. They suggest against using plastic, as most articles I've read...

Comment

KEEP IT SIMPLE, TP HAS GOOD DIAGRAMS,BUT USE 3/4 AND 1/2''COPPER PIPE INSTEAD. USE SMALL WATER SEPERATOR AT EACH POINT OF USE AND YOU WILL KEEP EXPENDITURES TO A MINIMUM,AND HAVE A DRY AIR SYSTEM.

Comment

not a good idea to run pvc piping for compressed air systems....yes it is rated for the pressure....but one good bump with something and KABOOMMMM.....deadly flying particles!!....best to use black pipe or boiler rated copper pipe.
        Never argue with an idiot...they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I have a friend that used plastic pipe for the air lines in his garage. He lives in Texas, so hot/cold extremes are not like they are in Minnesota. He had been using it for about 3 years, and there was an explosion on the other side of the garage. He figured out that it was only air (sounded like much worse), and shut it off. It was a good thing he wasn't near it when it blew. Plastic shrapnel stuck in his vinyl top where the pipe blew. Be safe. Go with black iron pipe.

Hemi-T

Comment

Thanks for the inof guys. Im going to mount the unit outside in back of the garage and then reset up a blasting booth out there next to it.. Im then going to run a standard hose to my reel mounted on the wall. thanks again.

Comment

noob ... i got pvc pipes .. make it simple to repair if there is a blow out.

i will get some pic's of the new set up

Comment

I had the regular (white) schedule 40 PVC in my shop, but it only lasted for about 5 years before it started getting brittle and cracking. I am getting ready to run new air lines and was going to do them with black iron pipe, but someone told me that the gray PVC - for hot water - would work good and last longer than the white stuff.

Leo
                www.tinmans.net
                "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

I *really* like household copper pipe for compressor lines. It is cheap, easy to fit, sweated connections don't leak as easy as threaded and it won't blow up. The thinner type "M" seems to work fine for me.

--Doug

Comment

Plastic and copper soldered pipes for compressed air?

You guys scare me to death!

But then my dad did that to me about compressed air many years ago. His story was:
                    Someone in his factory workshop crept up behind a pal of his and gave him a squirt of air from a hose up the behind, as a joke Trouble is, he made 100% contact with the orifice. Blew the guys guts up through his mouth.
                    --
                    Mike Caswell
                    Caswell Inc
                    http://www.caswellplating.com
                    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

i use 3/4" pvc in the sand booth i ran iron

Comment

all my lines are 3/4 galv pipe..
                        Pro-Tech Powder Coating
                        93976 Ocean Way
                        541-247-8168
                        [email protected]
                        Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

Working...
                        X