Anyone done an engine block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone done an engine block?

I've read through the posts and still just want to be sure that coating an engine block is something that can be done without issues. I'm building a 347 stroker motor for a Cobra kit car project. The block is back from the machine shop and I want to coat it. I'm afraid it will warp the deck or cause other issues. Am I worried for nothing?
    Thanks,
    Don

55 engines to date. I've done bike engines, cars mini bikes and go carts... Go for it....
    Jim Shuster
    www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
    www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
    www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

lol that's bad ass... iv seen rotary engines powder coated and were done a few years back and there holding up just fine..
      D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

Originally posted by upncoming
        lol that's bad ass... iv seen rotary engines powder coated and were done a few years back and there holding up just fine..
        I have an 88 RX7 getting ready to pull into teh shop and rebuild... Not sure of the colors yet...

Jim S...
        Jim Shuster

Comment

HVAC this is so funny i have a 88 t2 and also a 68 fastback 302. i didnt think i would ever find another out there who can enjoy the both of these fine cars... lol
          D.I.L.U.S.I.

Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

You dont own a Saturn SC do you? As that is on my project list as well.. lol
            Saturn 1.9 with twin turbos all colored Sparkle LT. Orange.. Was going to use the Phyco Lime but changed my mind when I recieved the color chip today...

Jim S...
            Jim Shuster

Comment

So, I'm pretty sure that this shouldn't be an issue, but would PC'ing a flathead change the picture?

I've got a big flathead six to PC soon, but it seems like the steel between the combustion chamber and the outside surface of the casting is awful thin to keep the temps down (perhaps a half inch, not including coolant passages).

I'll probably PC it and see how it goes, unless someone can tell me not to try it with a flathead.

Dan

Comment

ok.. heres one for you guys that have done engine parts... i have a guy who has a KZ900 engine he wants done.. but is afraid of over heating because of the coating... i told him not to sweat it... any comments on this... esp air cooled units.
                If it jams; Force it. And if it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

I can go from 0 to "What seems to be the problem Officer?" in 3 seconds."

Comment

KZ ENGINE

I HAVE DONE SEVERAL OF THESE FOR A LOCAL PERFORMANCE SHOP IN MY AREA.I NEVER HEARD OF ANY HEAT RELATED PROBLEMS ARISING AFTER COATING FROM HIM. JOHN

Comment

Question on complete engine coating.This may be dumb but do you guys completely disassemble the engine before coating?

Comment

Re: Anyone done an engine block?

Actually I'd Like an answer to that question too. Is dissasembly required?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dpoling
                        Actually I'd Like an answer to that question too. Is dissasembly required?

thanks
                        Yes you must break the engine down, no internal parts at all..

Jim S...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by hvac36; 10-03-2005, 11:08 PM.
                        Jim Shuster

Comment

man jim that color is loud.
                          when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
                          G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Originally posted by pickleboy
                            man jim that color is loud.
                            Think that is loud wait to you see the Whole thing together!! lol

Jim S...
                            Jim Shuster

Comment

Jim,

Do you plan to run open exhaust to quieten that motor down? It looks bright enough to emit light from under the hood. I know it's a theft deterent.

Comment

Working...
                              X