Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder of Zinc plating.

Hey All:
    I have a customer that wants my to PC on items that had been previously zinc plated. Do I need to do any special prep? Or do I need to blast off the zinc coating first
    Thanks
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

I just blast off the zinc coating and then treat it like a normal part. It probably wouldnt hurt to prebake it though. Ive only powdercoated a couple small parts that previously had a zinc plating but they came out great

Comment

Whether you get all the zinc off or not is pretty much immaterial. It's a metal, not much different than any of the fillers used to prep parts with. More important is that it's clean.

Comment

I've been PCing zinc palted parts quite successfully. Zinc is a great base for PC. Some pictures:

http://www.hogheaven.com/hobby/plati...tes/index.html

If the zinc parts have a chromate conversion coat, simply cleaning them good should be enough. Chromate coversions are a good base for PC.

If the parts are raw zinc, pre-etch them for about 10-20 seconds in a 3-5% muriatic acid pickle. This will remove surface oxidation & activate the zinc surface.

Sean
        Seans Zinc Plating page

Comment

i spray right over it .. clean it real good !!!

Comment

Working...
          X