new gas powered oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new gas powered oven

just finished a gas powered oven made with the torpedo style 155k btu, works great, no incredible. If your building a oven do yourself a favor and build this way. i CANT BELIEVE HOW WELL IT WORKS. I have used all types and this is by fgar the best and easiet to build. There is no reason everyone should not have one of these in there shop. this beats the **** out of burners (electric or gas). good times
    Thier are only two real sports!
    boxing and auto racing
    all the rest are just games.

Drive it like you stole it!

I'll pop up some picts in a few minutes the cam battery is dead.
    boxing and auto racing

Comment

hey my web cam at yahoo is on [email protected] com take a peak at my new oven.
      boxing and auto racing

Comment

here are some pitcs that i pposted in caswells photo section

http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/album_personal.php
        boxing and auto racing

Comment

Looks good. Is that a timer next to the thermostat?
          www.tinmans.net
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

Looks good man! This is exactly what I will be doing, when I build my bigger oven. I currently use an old deep freeze (outside incase the linings decide to go) which they haven't yet. The torpedo with the deep freeze at least gets to temp (450) easily within 5 minutes.

Would you mind explaining what you did to connect that thermostat, and is the timer set up to auto shut off the oven?

Thanks again for the post, I knew this idea would work, and with your completion of the oven, you have proven that this idea has hope.
            Thanks again
            Brian

Comment

Re: new gas powered oven

I tried to look at the pic's via both the links you supplied, no go? Can you email me pic's @ [email protected]?
              Thanks
              Bob
              www.capecodpowdercoating.com

Comment

Bob,

Go to Album link at top of page and scroll down almost to the bottom of page where it says Users Personal Gallery,. Click that link, then scroll down to 11111111. Or, go here: http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/al...p?user_id=9436

Leo
                www.tinmans.net
                "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

How did you hookup the thermostat? Is it hooked to the electric plug? I am looking for a gas-fired oven. I need a to be in a range of 250K BTU, so this is great idea. Also what size is your oven?

Comment

getastro

Cut a regular extension cord in half, wire the hot wire on the male end to the input terminal on the thermostat and the hot wire on the female side to the burner (switched) side of the thermostat. Then wire nut the 2 neutrals together and the 2 ground wires together. The thermostat will work like an inline switch controlling the heater. Plug the extension cord into a regular wall outlet and the heater into the extension cord. I have a 4' x 6' x 6' oven heated with a 150,000 butane propane torpedo heater and it works great. Hope I didn't confuse you with my wiring explanation.

Leo
                    www.tinmans.net

Comment

He is exactly right on the hook up.
                      What i did is take the stat out of a old oven and used it. I took a extension cord ran into a four gang box. the hooked it to the 60 minute bathroom fan timer and then into regular plug in. so when i plug in the unit i turn on the timer which turns on the heater and the light inside and the other open outlet is where i plug in my pc gun. i coat inside it. so i out gas and preheat at the same time. when i am done out gassing i turn it to 200f and when it reaches temp i open the door turn off the gas and leave the fan running then shoot the part hot. close the door set the temp at whatever and set the timer. the timer shuts everything down and if i want i can just leave it there or open the door to speed the cooling. its 155btu max temp i can get is 550f i think i will add one more heater same size for my ceramics. but i think this would work fine. if your building use a 250 if you can. i used this 155btu because the local tool rental shop uses these and they sell there older ones for half of what they paid to cyccle tem out of there inventory.
                      remember it has to have a autolite feature or it wont work. it must be able to run off a stat. makes the units twice as much so a good used unit is a good way to go.
                      the size is 5x5x3just slides in the garage with the heater on top. but with the heater on top i dont have to set it up and its all together. also i have a extension cord on a house stat that i plug the heater into and it doubles as a heater in the gargage as well. no reason to have two heaters in here.
                      boxing and auto racing

Comment

how hot can it get with the 150,00 torpedo ,would it get to 500-600 ?

Comment

boxing and auto racing

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am removing my electric elements so I will use the relay for a switch. Did you run any type of exhaust out of the oven? Thanks

Comment

i have not put the door gasket in yet (seems to work great) 1/4" leak around a five foot square door. what i will do is seal the door and install a vent at the bottom of the oven that i can control the opening so that i can find the perfect size hole. i think i can get 100f more by venting at the bottom and also causing the oven to heat all the way to the bottom of the box. but the parts coming out now are perfect. coating in the oven is better too. now i dont have to worry about the coating touching anything while i transfer from booth to oven. make sure install a couple lights it really helps when coating.
                              boxing and auto racing

Comment

Working...
                              X