Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly question, but how do you wipe down powdercoating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question, but how do you wipe down powdercoating?

I've actually searched here from front to back and found no definitive answer.
    Say I powdercoat something and let it cool down. Then, say my friends and I touch it all up with fingerprints and such. What would I or should I use to clean the part before powdercoating again?
    I used denatured alcohol ONCE, and it left a residue that you could actually see when powdercoating. Needless to say the part didn't get evenly coated.
    The same goes for parts that are powdercoated and left for a few weeks.
    What do you guys use and what do you use to wipe it down with?

Re: Silly question, but how do you wipe down powdercoating?

Hey Heavykote:
    I use a "prepaint solvent" I am at home & the product is at my shop. I'll try to remember to look at the name tomorrow. But it is a product sold at auto parts store & most good hardware stores.
    Pretty much the same as "mineral spirits" it is used to wipe off the natural oils from your hands left behind from being handled.
    Good luck
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

Comment

I use Simple Green then a clean water rinse.Before shooting second coat I heat up the part then cool down to about 150.

Comment

On Finished Items, I just use Windex and a paper towel to clean it before I give to customer or install.

Comment

Thanks for the great replies guys! So, then can I just wipe the part down with acetone like I usually do, then throw it in the oven till 150 and coat it again?
          How about a second coat COLD?
          I ask this now because I'm doing a MAF housing for a friend and he said I can do it anyway I want. So, I threw on a black chrome base, then used my letters to spell out his name. I was then gonna try this aquamarine illusion to finish it off, but the black chrome wasn't dark enough. Now, I just want to put the letters on again and coat over the black chrome and illusion with glossy black then leaving his name in black chrome.
          So, I ask again.Can you clean a coated part cold then coat it again?

Comment

I would suggest not using any type of solvent because most have oil within them. I have used Isopropyl with good success. On most manufacturing conveyor systems, we simply rehang the parts and let them run through the wash before recoat. Again, make sure you use pure water, not tap water as it had total dissolved solids in it and will most likely show up as a defect.

Comment

Yep, soap and water then blow dry.

Comment

Why is it everytime I wash something down with water, I get flash rusting that I have to get off before PC'ing?

Do you guys not have that problem with steel parts?

Comment

Most of what we do is aluminum and stainless steel but the occasional steel rivet rusts within minutes. I usually just hit it with a scotch brite pad then air.
                  I can see where large steel items might be a problem.

Comment

We used white vinegar in the body shop for flash rust.

Comment

After rinsing with water you need to dry it by blow drying or put the part in the oven to dry first.

Comment

Working...
                      X