Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Sand for blastung aluminum wheels

there is no need to use baking soda. # 8 glass bead will give you a satin finish that is semi flat. clean and out gas and shoot the chrome 25 min at 400 then cool down to around 120 then shoot a clear for 15 at 400 and you will be fine..

I know not all hobby set up are set up like are shop's

Leave a comment:

• jimcarry
    replied

Originally posted by tavo1765
    You need to glass bead them with fine or meduim grade grit. Then hand sand with 220grit sand paper till they are very smooth thats if you want to have a very bright chrome finish using a top coat such as Super chrome base, also spray at least 18" away to allow the fine dust get to the part. If you spray close it will make the chrome powder darker.

*Make sure you fully cure the chrome at a high temp like 425f for 30mins. Also outgass them first at about 450f for around 30-40mins. You will need to top coat anything chrome powder coated with clear powder.
    If you use baking soda in your media blaster there is no need to use sand paper this will leve a bright finish with out sanding

Leave a comment:

• tavo1765
    replied

You need to glass bead them with fine or meduim grade grit. Then hand sand with 220grit sand paper till they are very smooth thats if you want to have a very bright chrome finish using a top coat such as Super chrome base, also spray at least 18" away to allow the fine dust get to the part. If you spray close it will make the chrome powder darker.

*Make sure you fully cure the chrome at a high temp like 425f for 30mins. Also outgass them first at about 450f for around 30-40mins. You will need to top coat anything chrome powder coated with clear powder.

Leave a comment:

• jimcarry
    replied

Originally posted by gtabadboy
    Ok so what grit glass beads or what size rather? How smooth and shiny can I make whels by just blasting them? Thanks!
    Hey
    how?s it going sand and bead blasting usually leaves a gray dull finish if you are looking for a bright finish after blasting try soda blasting Soda blasting is a process where a surface is cleaned, rust is removed, or coatings (of any kind) are stripped from the substrate (the surface beneath the material you are trying to remove). The soda blasting machine propels a bicarbonate-of-soda-based media via water or compressed air onto the surface to be cleaned. This process gently removes the material without harming the substrate and can be done wet or dry. There are lots of sites on line to show you how to do this
    but if you can sand blast this is the same thing

Leave a comment:

• gtabadboy
    replied
    Ok so what grit glass beads or what size rather? How smooth and shiny can I make whels by just blasting them? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• trsick
    replied

Hey Gtabadboy:
    If the rims have been previously powder coated, you will want to strip the old powder off first using a chemical stripper (airline stripper works well). After you remove the old powder, you will want to glass bead them. Then powder away.
    Good Luck
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• gtabadboy
    started a topic Sand for blastung aluminum wheels

Sand for blastung aluminum wheels

I want to sandblast powdercoat off aluminum motorcyle wheels. What should I use. Will this make the mirror chrome powder look shinier. Thanks
Working...
X