Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdering over galvanized items

Hi All:
    I always sandblast off the galvanized finish before I PC it. But do you really have to? I just got in a 56 piece order & would love to be able to pc over without removing the galvy finish?
    Any BTDT advise
    Thanks
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

by a chemical process or heat process, I just shoot them with Tiger Drylacs outgass forgiving black as a primer, also shoot them hot.

Comment

i've done alot of galv and done nothing more than just clean the surface with acetone..
      Pro-Tech Powder Coating
      93976 Ocean Way
      541-247-8168
      [email protected]
      Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

Re: Powder over Galvy?

Thanks Guy's:
        I should have mentioned.. these items are going to be deployed in the ocean for 6 months or more. Have any of you seen the items you have done (with out removing the galvy coat) after they hqave been out in the elements?
        I plan to shoot them with a "zinc rich primer" first, then only cure the primer for a couple of minutes, remove & reshoot them "hot" with the color powder. What do you think?
        Thanks
        Bob

Comment

Bob all the stuff that i do is in house cast alum and stainless steel ,havent done anything in galv that went out on a ship, mostly stuff for myself and it seems to hold up pretty good here on the coast. Bob heres a link to the place I powder coat for...http://freemanmarine.com/ ....seeings how we both seem to have marine companys we do buisness with maybe we should hook up and share notes..talk at ya laterzzz.
          Pro-Tech Powder Coating
          93976 Ocean Way
          541-247-8168
          [email protected]
          Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

i shoot right over it .. no problems at all

Comment

Re Powdering over Galvy

Thaks Guy's:
              I ended up media blasting the items first, them zinc rich primier & safety yellow over.
              Much more work but this is a BIG customer & lot's more work from them done the road. I want it to last, as all thier items are deployed at sea for long periods of time.
              Thanks
              Bob

Comment

Re: Powdering over Galvy

Hey Blademan:
                Yes we should talk. I do a ton of marine stuff. My location is right on the water North East coast.
                Later
                Bob

Comment

A friend of mine has been powder coating galvanized parts for boat docks and lifts for a couple of years now that get shipped to slat water areas.

trsick marine parts is all I do since this is just a side thing for me and I am into boats.

Comment

Working...
                  X