orange peeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orange peeling

Houdy do guys! Im new to powder coating and to this forum. I just had a general guestion about orange peeling. I recently bought the professional gun from hotcoat and was trying it out, but ever piece i took out of the oven had orange peel.

I dont think i got it on thick enough but i thought i would ask the professionals about this. I waited for the part to reach 400 degrees then set the timer for 20min.

Well, any suggestion about this would be appreciated.

Thanks, estevahn

There is almost always a certain amount of orange peel appearance with powder coat - it is a characteristic of it. However, if it is bad enough to look bad, then my best guess would be that too little powder has been applied.
    Leo
    www.tinmans.net
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

Thanks Leo

I thought thats what it was but i wasn't sure. I'll put it on thicker next time.

One more guestion, how do you know how thick to get it?

Comment

Sorry, that last post was kinda okward so I'll rephrase it,

How do you know how thick the powder is on the piece that your spraying?

Comment

It is mainly practice, but basically you have enough powder on when you can not see "through" it anywhere. I was always told to make it look like a heavy dew on a windshield, but to me, it looks more like the texture of the fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror on a 50's and 60's cruiser.

Leo
          www.tinmans.net
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!!!" ----- Unknown

Comment

Thanks for the advice leo,

I'll give it another shot when i can. I'm working on a 8'x8' powder booth right now but im almost finished.

Comment

Working...
            X