info on blast media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on blast media

hope this will help a bit on the diff stuff that can be used..

Blast Media Walnut Shells

Use this abrasive to clean internal parts; any of the soft abrasive material left in the working part with break down with minimal damage. Great for gentle paint and carbon removal from ferrous metals. For use at 80 psi max. Be sure to wear appropriate respiratory protection.

Blast Media Silicon Carbide

Silicon carbide has very sharp edges which make it ideal for removing heavy rust, welding and brazing prep, and for glass etching. 60 grit size. Use at 80-90 psi max. Be to sure to wear an appropriate respirator.

Blast Media Poly Bead

Gentle Poly Abrasive will not harm fragile surfaces and produces less dust. Excellent for stripping paint or powder coating from sheet metal and fiberglass Use at 35-90 psi max. Be sure to wear appropriate respiratory protection.

Blast Media Glass Bead

An all-purpose abrasive for all types of metals and many plastics. Best on softer metals like aluminum and brass. Great for cleaning pistons, engine blocks, and light rust removal with minimal dust. Meets mil spec MIL G9954A for size uniformity and is 70-100 grit size. Use at 60 psi max. Be sure to wear appropriate respiratory protection.

Aluminum Shot Media - Lasts up to 1000 times longer than glass bead or aluminum oxide.

Exotic low dust, air cast aluminum shot media cleans without removing casting details. Effectively cleans without embedding or leaving ferrous contamination. Ideal for aluminum castings, radiator tanks, and other parts where a unique sheen is desired.
    Pro-Tech Powder Coating
    93976 Ocean Way
    541-247-8168
    [email protected]
    Gold Beach,Oregon

Remember the higher the grit the rougher the surface you have and you dont need no more than a enought for the powder to bite on and stay

Comment

Re: info on blast media

would it be conclusive enough to say that glass beads on some soft aluminum have been known to get embedded in aluminum?
      Powdercoat... the other, other, multicolored meat.

Comment

Originally posted by FiReBReTHa
        would it be conclusive enough to say that glass beads on some soft aluminum have been known to get embedded in aluminum?
        Yes, you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by FiReBReTHa
          Yup, if you have to use it, keep the psi at the min. needed to remove material and blast at an angle not straight at the part.

Comment

so use alluminum oxide on alluminum ?

Comment

Originally posted by donafams
              so use alluminum oxide on alluminum ?
              Yes, it's better than glass bead for aluminum. Always blast at angle.

Comment

I always prefer to hit AL with scotch-brite pads with a die grinder or if the piece is large use a larger grinder & pad.
                SouthWest Powderworx
                Tyler Nutter
                www.swpowder.com
                myspace/swpowder
                [email protected]
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blademan View Post
                  hope this will help a bit on the diff stuff that can be used..

Blast Media Walnut Shells

Use this abrasive to clean internal parts; any of the soft abrasive material left in the working part with break down with minimal damage. Great for gentle paint and carbon removal from ferrous metals. For use at 80 psi max. Be sure to wear appropriate respiratory protection.

Blast Media Silicon Carbide

Silicon carbide has very sharp edges which make it ideal for removing heavy rust, welding and brazing prep, and for glass etching. 60 grit size. Use at 80-90 psi max. Be to sure to wear an appropriate respirator.

Blast Media Poly Bead

Gentle Poly Abrasive will not harm fragile surfaces and produces less dust. Excellent for stripping paint or powder coating from sheet metal and fiberglass Use at 35-90 psi max. Be sure to wear appropriate respiratory protection.

Blast Media Glass Bead

An all-purpose abrasive for all types of metals and many plastics. Best on softer metals like aluminum and brass. Great for cleaning pistons, engine blocks, and light rust removal with minimal dust. Meets mil spec MIL G9954A for size uniformity and is 70-100 grit size. Use at 60 psi max. Be sure to wear appropriate respiratory protection.

Aluminum Shot Media - Lasts up to 1000 times longer than glass bead or aluminum oxide.

Exotic low dust, air cast aluminum shot media cleans without removing casting details. Effectively cleans without embedding or leaving ferrous contamination. Ideal for aluminum castings, radiator tanks, and other parts where a unique sheen is desired.
                  There is another form of Media used , Novacite. It has the Mohs hardness of 7 and is very friable. It will not leave the dents that you are talking about in the aluminum. Check it out.

Comment

Good info there Blademan. I never knew the media had to be sprayed at such low PSI. I have my glass bead in my blast cabinet cranked past 100 psi. Guess that explains why it breaks down so fast! hahahaha! Anyone ever use Black Beauty? Also, I always thought Aluminum oxide tears the heck out of softer metals such as aluminum. Should I perhaps run aluminum oxide in my cabinet?

Comment

i just bought a sand blasting cabinet and im unsure what to load in there. the majority of my parts are going to be aluminum. i didnt know it needed to be blasted at 60psi either! ive been cranking it at 100-120.

Whats the best media to use for cast aluminum? i have Glass media in there right now and the main purpose of it is to strip old paint, or to texturize smooth pieces for a good adhesion.
                      Last edited by heman; 03-15-2010, 04:19 AM.

Comment

I started with glass bead in my cabinet but found it broke down rather quickly and wasn't abrasive enough to remove all finishes, especially POR 15. I switched to aluminum oxide and it works perfect. It doesn't take alot of PSI either, you could pretty much do any job around 40-60 PSI. I use higher pressure when doing steel or cast iron, and lower pressure, say 40-50 for cast aluminum.

Comment

Ok. I talked to the company that does most of my sandblasting and they told me not to use aluminum oxide on soft metals such as aluminum or brass. They said it will shred the metal and mess up the parts. Also, black beauty is not a reclaim media type. What's the best results you guys have seen from what media for all metal types?

Comment

If you cant use aluminum oxide on aluminum or brass, then the next step down is glass beads isnt it?

Non reclaimable media is too expensive unless its soda. the media is biofriendly, but a bag is about $40 bucks and you could kill it easily.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastPolarBear View Post
                              Ok. I talked to the company that does most of my sandblasting and they told me not to use aluminum oxide on soft metals such as aluminum or brass. They said it will shred the metal and mess up the parts. Also, black beauty is not a reclaim media type. What's the best results you guys have seen from what media for all metal types?
                              I've been using a ruby garnet media in my cabinet for a long time now,.... It seems to last a while and doesn't seem to kill aluminum too much. It's available (as are most medias) in different grit sizes. The biggest drawback to it is the dust factor. If you don't have a dust control system on your cabinet, it'll make things difficult to see. Other than that, I like it pretty OK.
                              EMAIL [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X