Lead free soldier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead free soldier.

I am not endorsing anyone, just trying to make our lives easier maybe. I got an advertisement today about lead free soldier. I thought how could this be useful to us? Well, it says it's safe up to 400 degrees and can be powder coated. Now this to me sounds like an easy way to fill pits in metal prior to applying PC. I know.. They make stuff like lab metal... Just wanted to pass on there are other options out there.
    Jason

*EDITED Please keep the other company's names out.*

yep its good stuff, its basically used for auto body work .I still use lead for filling in holes.
    Pro-Tech Powder Coating
    93976 Ocean Way
    541-247-8168
    [email protected]
    Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

i use lab metal and metal filler ..

Comment

ive used that lab metal, its good but a real pain to smooth out if ya get carried away filling with it, lead on the other hand will smooth out with little effort...
        Pro-Tech Powder Coating
        93976 Ocean Way
        541-247-8168
        [email protected]
        Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

blademan is the solder in question/ discussion capable of multi trips in the oven, say for base and clear. i am looking for the easiest way to smooth small rust pits on cast iron. will this work do you think.
          when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
          G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Sure will...lead melts somewhere around 600f I believe...i've used it alot specially on those good old round dents and creases..
            Pro-Tech Powder Coating
            93976 Ocean Way
            541-247-8168
            [email protected]
            Gold Beach,Oregon

Comment

Lead free solder

I use lab metal. It is costly & at times hard to work with. I found that J B Weld is cheap, readily available & easy to work with. It is metalic & can atract powder & shows no damage ot shrinkage in the cure oven.
              Good Luck
              Bob
              www.capecodpowdercoating.com

Comment

Re: Lead free splder

Originally posted by Blademan
                Sure will...lead melts somewhere around 600f I believe...i've used it alot specially on those good old round dents and creases..
                I went to a lead metal workshop, the lead filler used on autobody will melt at 300F so I would not use that for filler when you plan to powdercoat over it.
                Good Luck
                Bob

Comment

thanks again bob you are a very helpful person to know . i never thought about jb weld. i am about to restore and powder a springer front end on a 49 panhead and the last person that tried to work on it cobbled it up with brazing rod and bondo(terrible job) trying to mold it smooth. i had to remove the bondo of course now it will look like **** if i dont redo it with something solid.
                  when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
                  G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Re: Lead free solder

Originally posted by pickleboy
                    thanks again bob you are a very helpful person to know . i never thought about jb weld. i am about to restore and powder a springer front end on a 49 panhead and the last person that tried to work on it cobbled it up with brazing rod and bondo(terrible job) trying to mold it smooth. i had to remove the bondo of course now it will look like poop if i dont redo it with something solid.
                    No sweat, glad too help.
                    Bob

Comment

i use metal to metal filler .. i have had problems with the other stuff .. lead is perfect ..

Comment

Working...
                      X