My first time...and my setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first time...and my setup

Last night I powdercoated for the first time! What a wonderful experience, and fun too! I've been reading on these forums for months now. I've learned alot, and it has helped. Instead of writing everything up again, and trying to size pictures to fit the forums, I created a webpage:

http://cruizersworld.com/pc/

Some things I learned:
    *HOLY **** IS THIS STUFF MESSY!
    I had poweder everywhere when I was done.
    *It works better if you turn the power to the system on.
    *Living in a high humidity area sucks.
    Even though I have two water traps, I was still spewing water through my airhose.
    It was causing problems witht hte gun and the cups were getting wet when I blew them out to clean them.
    I had to wipe the cups out and wait for them to dry.
    *I got switching paints down to less than five minutes.
    *SUPER CHROME IS THE SHIZNIT!
    I was really impressed how this actually looks like chrome!!

Thanks to all whose ideas I have copied and help you all have given with your palethera of information!! I hope to have more parts done and pictures up soon!

nice setup

Comment

Cruizer, nice setup and thanks for the credit on the spray booth idea. I also liked that you used the oven rack up top like I did for a place to hang the workpieces. It also holds a pleated filter in place for the fan and duct mounted on the top.

I too had put my oven on casters too so I can roll it away when not in use and my beadblast cabinet stores inside the spray booth for storage as well.

Comment

that all reminds me of when i was just starting ... Good set up..
        What out i you will be adding alot more equipment soon ..

Good luck

Comment

Thanks guys!
          Again, i learned alot for all of you here. Good and bad.
          Unfortunately I forget all that when i head out to the garage to play with my paint!

As you may have noticed in the pictures, I did two tools of each color. And there is a reason for that. 1) more practice, and 2) because one of each color was going to be receiving a second coat of Liquid Smoke.

Here's the deal. This all started because I am rebuilding my car. I wanted to PC some parts, and found overall it would be cheaper if I did it myself, rather than having someone else do it. Not to mention, the nearest PC shop is 20 minutes away and the next nearest is about 40 minutes, and the nearer shop would rather do more commercial stuff, so there's a niche for me in the market here. Anyways, where am I going, OH YEAH, I saw a picture of the liquid Smoke on this site, and thought it was pretty awsome. Well it was over a chromed part. I don't have the money to chrome everything, ot even buy the chrome kit. I could learn to polish, and I just might someday, but I don't have a long enough patience level to do that. So my plan is to take the lazy way out, find a basecoat that brings out the awsomeness of the Liquid Smoke.

So last night I did my second coat of liquid smoke one each of the colors. But I forgot, you all suggest to do a second coat on a warm part. I did mine dead cold. I really didn't get an even coat either. You can see it's darker in some areas, and lighter in others. So, I need more tools to practice on!!!

Comment

Yep, I've had that happen with Physco lime green. Where it is really light, just add more so it is the same as the dark spots. It worked fine for mine, and I even did that after the part was completely cold. I did warm it up a little bit before I sprayed it on though.

Instead of real chrome you can use the chrome powdercoatings that caswell sells. That is what I used under the physco lime green, and it turned out good.

Comment

you should pick your self up a torpedo heater and build another oven bigger ... there is a memeber her on the board that did a set of craftsman wrenches in candy color..

Comment

Originally posted by customandsound
                you should pick your self up a torpedo heater and build another oven bigger ...
                Yep, that is what I did. Got a 100k btu kerosene heater and attached it to a 4 foot long by 2.5 feet wide by 2 foot deep box. And then put some flameproof insulation on the front as a big door. Suprisingly, this thing is pretty big and I could easily do a whole toolset if I wanted to.....I need to grab some high temp glass and a light and put it in. So far it seems to work, but customandsound, how long should it take to heat up something like this size to 400f? Here are some pics, one of the oven and then one of the building it's in. Cruizer, I definatly recommend this to you, it works good. In the future I'd like to insulate the building and turn that whole thing into a walk in oven. Any idea how many heaters I'd need anyone?

Comment

Are the two on top coated with liquid smoke?

http://cruizersworld.com/pc/wrenches06.JPG
                  WEIRD Performance & Coatings
                  Sweden

Comment

Actually I did use the chrome powdercoatings for the first coat. I was highly amazed how close the Super Chrome is to actual chrome!

As for building a bigger oven, well not yet. Again, I am just starting out, I have a couple people who want me to do some stuff for them. And I want to know this WIL go somewhere, and I will ahve the time to do it. I may jsut do things for friends here and there, who knows. I currently am working 1 full time job, and another part time job. So I can't get all too serious until I know it'll take off! That and I don't have anymore room in my garage. 24x26, 2 motorcycles, her car, my project car, 3 workbenches, lawnmowers, air compressor, and PC stuff. Not a whole lot of room to move around!

Comment

Originally posted by Zpider

Yes, those were two smooth already chromed wrenches that I coated with only Liquid Smoke. Those came out very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer
                        Originally posted by Zpider

Yes, those were two smooth already chromed wrenches that I coated with only Liquid Smoke. Those came out very nice.
                        Agree, always wondered about that color, but havent seen any pics of it before, wouls like to see some pics of in in daylight too if you got...
                        WEIRD Performance & Coatings
                        Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by wamontgomery
                          you should pick your self up a torpedo heater and build another oven bigger ...
                          Yep, that is what I did. Got a 100k btu kerosene heater and attached it to a 4 foot long by 2.5 feet wide by 2 foot deep box. And then put some flameproof insulation on the front as a big door. Suprisingly, this thing is pretty big and I could easily do a whole toolset if I wanted to.....I need to grab some high temp glass and a light and put it in. So far it seems to work, but customandsound, how long should it take to heat up something like this size to 400f? Here are some pics, one of the oven and then one of the building it's in. Cruizer, I definatly recommend this to you, it works good. In the future I'd like to insulate the building and turn that whole thing into a walk in oven. Any idea how many heaters I'd need anyone?

It takes my little one 5-10 minutes to get up to 400f (100k)

As for that storage shed is it 8x8? mine took 1 250k on each side

I ran the 2 to get it to temp and shut the one off and let the other one keep it there .. .

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer
                            Actually I did use the chrome powdercoatings for the first coat. I was highly amazed how close the Super Chrome is to actual chrome!

As for building a bigger oven, well not yet. Again, I am just starting out, I have a couple people who want me to do some stuff for them. And I want to know this WIL go somewhere, and I will ahve the time to do it. I may jsut do things for friends here and there, who knows. I currently am working 1 full time job, and another part time job. So I can't get all too serious until I know it'll take off! That and I don't have anymore room in my garage. 24x26, 2 motorcycles, her car, my project car, 3 workbenches, lawnmowers, air compressor, and PC stuff. Not a whole lot of room to move around!
                            Ask dale ,Blademan, And from my self .. This powder coating will grow as fast as you let it grow.. If you want to get big quick it will happen if you want to take your time you can do that .. But trust me and i am sure a few others will even tell you .. When you are not ready for it to take off it will you will have work coming out the ears .. and trust me it will happen .. nice bikes to.. check out my webpage i happen to got a auto forum and there is a bike section..

But good luck and i hope to see more of your work soon

Comment

It takes my little one 5-10 minutes to get up to 400f (100k)

As for that storage shed is it 8x8? mine took 1 250k on each side

I ran the 2 to get it to temp and shut the one off and let the other one keep it there .. .
                              Wow, I just did a small peice, it didn't even come close to reaching 400f.....I waited around 10-14 minutes, and it still wouldn't get up there.... Maybe my little infared gauge is off...I don't know. Its made out of 1/8th inch steel and then there is 1/2 inch insulation on the front (no steel in front of that). There are some cracks on all the edges....would this make it drop down as low as 250f? Because that was my average temp. The cracks are pretty small though.

As for the big shed, that is 9.5 feet wide, 13 feet long, and 7 feet tall at the tallest point. So would I need like 3 250k heaters?

Comment

Working...
                              X