a question for Chuck and others about rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question for Chuck and others about rims

I have a guy who wants some polished aluminum rims done. Do I have to take any special precautions because they are polished or can I just blast them and outgas them and then powder coat them. Also he wants them done in satin black, if I do them in satin black will they be glossy if I clear coat them. thanks guys your help and advice is great.

You can blast them, hand sand them with 220grit sand paper, preheat and coat them. If he wants satin black just use a single coat of satin black, if you want to clear them use a satin clear or they will be glossy. Make sure you cure the satin black, it will stay glossy to it cools down to room temp after the cure.

Comment

thanks, I didnt know there is a special clear for satin back

Comment

not special just low gloss.
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

with polished rim's i just clean and coat over them, Never had any problems of flaking or peeling. The satin black will flow out nice on them.

You still need to out gas them them coat..

For car wheels i do 2 coats front and 1 in the rear followed by a good coat of clear ( 2-3mil total)

For cycle wheels 2 coats then 1 coat of clear.

Clear can be found in serval gloss ratings. Depending on the powder supplier.

I alway toss a coat of clear to add to the depth of the powder. Remeber to tell your customer that black will show micro scratches ..

Good luck
          chuck

Comment

Chuck you said you do 2 coats, how do you do that. Do you put one coat on and put it in until flow out then cool down to lets say 130 degrees and then put another coat on.

Comment

i shoot it cure it then i either let it cool then shoot another coat..

But yes just as you typed.. Now my clears i open the oven door and shoot right on the part while hot never had any problems at all

Comment

what about clearing over polished alluminum? Another coater I know got the job but his oven died and he asked if I wanted the job- but I don't know if the polishing compound would still be in the pores of the alum. or not? would you just outgas as norm?
                Save the trees- burn Rubber!
                };^)>

Comment

out gas and clear ....

Comment

Hi, so if we have a set of mirror polished outer lips, we can clear coat them with powder and it wont peel off??
                    cheers
                    mike

Comment

Yes... I will be doing a write up on this to to help out some

Comment

Please let us know when the writeup is done!

Comment

I am going to try to do it later on today.. i need to find a part out there in the shed i can take to the shop to powder and polish..

Comment

Working...
                          X