Enclosure Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosure Painting

Hi. I have a computer enclosure that has a top and a bottom. Currently when this is powder coated, each part is coated separately. Because I need to have metal-to-metal contact between the two parts when they are assembled, masking is necessary where the two parts are met.

Is there a way that the parts could actually be powder coated while they are assembled? This would eliminate the need for masking?

Thanks,
    Mike.

Do you have sufficient access to get the gun into the enslosure it whould work.
    Lee Parsons
    Rowlett, TX (East Dallas)

Comment

Paint sticking?

Lee: Wouldn't I have problems with the two parts sticking together? I am using an epoxy powder coat.

My issue is that I have had one supplier that gave me a sample and said he had no problem doing this. My other supplier had problems with the parts sticking together.

Thanks,
      Mike.

Comment

Epoxy ... Just take them part and shoot and cure .. i Powder coat then when i am cured i take a belt sander to the end to remove the powder... even when i polish the letters i sand it off with the belt sander...

You can shoot them in a whole and it will work when taking apart score the joints with a blade to give you a clean break

Comment

What Chuck said, use a razor knife to score along the break line of the two parts.
          Lee Parsons
          Rowlett, TX (East Dallas)

Comment

thank you lee

Comment

Re: Enclosure Painting

You need the areas free of powder for ground. I have painted thousands of these boxes and I never had any luck painting them together. The problem is that it is very difficult to get powder onto the edging without parts sticking and/or looking terrible. We always take boxes and cut them as a mask on each part and pull them out prior to cure. We still use steel mask as well.

Comment

Working...
              X