671 Blower help. Pleeezzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 671 Blower help. Pleeezzz

It will not take long for you to figure out that I am new to this powder coat metal stuff.

I have a 671 Aluminum Blower for a Trailor queen I am building and am tired of pulling it apart to polish it. where the pits come from I will never know because they were not there when I polished it before. Do any of you know what Elderblock is using on there intake manifolds that makes them look like polished out aluminum to the point of almost chromed? I called them and they say it is a three step process of Base Coat, Aluminum Coat, and then Clear Coat. Can you kind folks tell me how and where to get that for my Blower? And is there a process to get the new pits out other then buffing?

I have more questions but I do not want to push my luck.

Thanks.

welcome to the forum bro i will try to help on this. as for the pits being new that is true and due to the fact that each time you polish you remove a small amount of outer layer of metal. that said the blower housing is cast, this is a common problem with cast material. if the look you want is truly chrome then either polish it as good as you can get it and clear coat it with high gloss clear or plate it. otherwise if you dont feel like polishing it again you can fill the pits with high temp lab metal and powder it near chrome or super chrome and clear. this will give you a nice looking piece but is not chrome like or even polished as far as luster and glow.
    here is an example of almost chrome powder
    http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/al...php?pic_id=527
    and http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/al...php?pic_id=481
    and here is near chrome examples.
    http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/al...php?pic_id=480
    http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/al...php?pic_id=480
    hope this helps out some bro and best of luck. keep us posted on the results.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Pickleguy. Thank you for the reply.

I really need the blazing look. There is not another Rod in the world like this one and it has to be hot. I have people offering to do work on this thing for free just to have their name affiliated with it.

The problem I have with plating is heat. Ceramic is the way I really would like to go. The chrome on the headers was spent in no time and I will powder coat them with near chrome after this new motor has been fired.

Have you seen the manifolds by Elderblock? might want to go to their web site and check it out. I saw one at a race shop and That Stuff is Cool? There must be a way to do that. I have been reading posts here for some time and you folks are brite when it come to this stuff. Someone must know what Elderblock is doing.

Do you know anything about Zoop Seal but I have had a hard time finding out enough about it. Have any of you tried it? Is that the ticket? Could it be a nickle plating?

Comment

you can not use regular powder on the header .. You need to use a ceramic coating.. The powder will burn off at 800f and headers get well over 2000f. i would either send it out of have it chromed ... now i know a place that polish better than chrome...
        below is some of there work:

the primary was black
        The above was all polished

Comment

i know about trying to stay on top. i got a fire breather right now i am trying to pull all the tricks out.. fully polished ,powder coated ect.

Comment

Post a picture of the fire breather, I would love to see it.

The headers are not a problem because I could go buy another pair and fire the virgin with these that I have now. But this blower thing is killing me. Do you want to takle that one? I can sent you a shell and bottom plate. Let me know what you think.

Comment

Oh and the primary looks as good as the Elderblock intake manifold I was writing about. How did ya do it? Polish only?

Comment

Re: 671 Blower help. Pleeezzz

Originally posted by Homeseller
                And is there a process to get the new pits out other then buffing?
                Can't do it myself yet, but eventually I will be taking care of porous aluminum by polishing, copper plating to fill the pores, re-sanding and polishing, then nickle/chrome plating. Might wanna ask a plater about doing that.

Comment

ZoopSeal.

I have used ZoopSeal on several different types of aluminum. I used it to seal a turbo charger compressor housing which when it dried it came out with pin point size bubbles on it.

I contacted ZoopSeal and they advised to rub the sealer in, which is contrary to their instructions. I then re-polished the housing and re-applied the sealer, it came out real nice.

I have tried it on other different aluminum pieces with mixed results. I put one piece in the sun to dry and it came out lousy. The others I left inside and they were fine.

In my opinion the humidity has a lot to do with the way this sealer cures, just my observations.

If you use it follow the instructions to the letter. Mix the sealer three-to-one. The instructions give examples of mixing different quantities, the instruction I got were incorrect! Go to their web site and get the instructions there.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Homeseller
                    Post a picture of the fire breather, I would love to see it.

The headers are not a problem because I could go buy another pair and fire the virgin with these that I have now. But this blower thing is killing me. Do you want to takle that one? I can sent you a shell and bottom plate. Let me know what you think.
                    In due time the unveiling is at world of wheels in pittsburgh..

Can you post a pic of the part?

Comment

I will post pictures of a blower tonight (I hope cause I need to get a digital camera) that I have and see if you can do anything with it. I need the one on this motor because I have a Hilborn injection hat coming and I will need to dyno it.

The blower shell I can send you is not in that bad of condition but does need to be re-worked when it comes to polish. The guy that had it was doing hand jobs on it.

Thanks.

Homeseller.

Comment

i would be willing to help you out on all that .. my contact info is on my webpage link below... I will be at test and tune tonite so any time but sat i race dirt track motocross on sunday tuesday i hit the strip.. I stick around to about 5 then i transfer over to my cell phone

Comment

There ya go...
                          Let me know what you think.

Comment

Oh my... That look's bad and the casting is not good at all .. I will post the pics for you..

I think i am going to move this post to the polish section again...

Comment

How did I do that?

Comment

Working...
                              X