cheap air dyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap air dyer

Anyone have any ideas on how to set up an air dryer on a compressor without spending $100+ on one.

Post edited due to violation of the Terms of Use
    http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1482
    customandsound

Comment

Post edited due to violation of the Terms of Use
      http://www.caswellplating.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1482
      customandsound

Comment

Try this link, I am sure it'll help out some:
        Anything helps.

http://www.tptools.com/statictext/ai...ng-diagram.pdf

Comment

Hey wingwalker, The problem here is that removing moisture from your compressed air is almost always more expensive than actually getting compressed air. I have a refrigerated air dryer 2 water traps a coalescing filter and disposible inline filters. I also have an automatic water purge on my compressor. First thing you can do is to get some inline spray gun filters. They're cheap and disposible. The second thing you can do is get an automatic purge for your compressor...also cheap and easy to install. Now comes the expensive part. Good dessicant filters are very expensive but are worth the money you'll spend. coalescing filters are good for removing moisture but not as your only means. They're a point of use filter and will soak if used alone. I use one on my blasting booth. The best thing to start with is a water trap and at the bottom use a water seperator which are easy to find. it should look like this |_s_| with the bowl hanging below the piping. Just keep an eye on it and drain it often. That should remove about most of your liquid water. If you have the room to do 2 that would be better. Then you can look at coalescing filters, but if you use them make sure that you buy extra elements so you can exchange them often. Get plenty of inline filters Look at the handle of the gun...that's what you want. [/url]http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_coat.htm Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Air Dryer

Thanks for the info.
            Not real familar with some of the terms used but after some more research I will. I live in the Southeast and we are having nothing but humidity plus, big time.
            I am just getting started in this and want to do it right. Already I can see the humidity is a biggie.
            It was recommended to use metal or steel piping. What about PVC

Thanks again,

Comment

wingwalker,
              I've used PVC and seen it used by others in areas where it doesn't get real cold BUT using PVC is not recommended by anyone I've seen. I also can tell you that you don't want to be close to it if you have a rupture. Black pipe is the safe way to go.

Comment

Re: cheap air dyer

Just like sswee said black pipe is the way to go.. just remember it rot's from the inside out.

Comment

So why not use copper pipe? Easier to cut and solder than getting someone to thread black pipe to the right length for you.
                  SMILE!!

Comment

Originally posted by joebear
                    So why not use copper pipe? Easier to cut and solder than getting someone to thread black pipe to the right length for you.
                    SMILE!!
                    unless you silver solder it wont hold up to the pressure of a full compressor load. soft solder works great on water at 60-75 psi but is not meant for 100-150 of air pressure. also the swell and shrink of the copper under load even though minimal will break the solder joint in time.
                    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
                    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Black pipe or galvanized is definately the way to go. I was able to build 2 water traps plus plumb in my dryer without cutting or tapping anything. Any local home depot has a huge selection of pipe to allow you to create anything you want. Just make sure you use a good sealer and run them down nice and snug. A little bit of planning will go a long way in a project like this. I would also get a ball valves to shut the air off at the compressor to insure no overnight leaks and easy shut off if you break a hose.

Comment

The Hangar I work at was plumbed in copper. It was built over 15 years ago. No problem. I agree it would be best to use silver solder, not the soft plumbing stuff.

As far as mousture removal on the cheap. I live in the SE also. What I did was remove the pump to tank line. The I made a new line from a roll of HVAC copper. One end on the pump, other to the tank. The coil in the middle sits in a 5gal bucket full of water. The theory is that the hot moist compressed air will condense in the coil and will be water drops in that will drop to the bottom of the tank, and not be suspended in the air. Seems to work pretty good. I also have a water seperator on the tank outlet. And disposables at the PC gun.

Comment

My father used copper in his air supply. 15 years later and it's still fine. Water pressure in homes can get over 120 psi. It's nice because it doesn't rust. Just make sure to get the thicker wall copper pipe.
                          Joe

Comment

me i like cheap or do it your self this is my set up i have a large comp puts out 37 cfm have it conected to three old water heater tanks. i waited till harber fright had a sale on automatic water drain kits.
                            got 5 of them was 6.99 each i think. one on each tank drain
                            and one on a water seperater in my little room wear i do my pcing.
                            everytime the compresor turns on and off it drains any water in the system.
                            basiclly haveing 4 holding tanks to trap water in before it gets to my water seperator was my thinking.
                            i run a sand blast cabinet my air grinders and my pc gun after the water seperator and dont have any water problems.
                            hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                            X