Home Garage Powder Coaters???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Garage Powder Coaters

That's a silly question, Caswell of course!

Comment

in all honesty popeye is right. i have used both and caswells rig is more consistant.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

And would those be the $100 units from Caswell? I notice alot of processes talked about here. Is it more about the prep, cleaning and process over the unit you are using?

Do most of the people here use the smaller, less expensive units? Say the $100 gun?

Thanks

Comment

I can't say which gun is better as I use a different gun that I am happy with. The prep work on a part is extremely important. The better your prep work the better the finish will be! In my opinon, the prep work is more important than the gun you are using.

Comment

Hey Frogwash,

I started with the cheap gun from the tool company (I had never heard of Caswell, I bought it on a whim). That gun seems identical to the Caswell gun, with the exception of the power supply, which looks a little different. If I had it to do over I'd buy it from Caswell, since they are pretty supportive and that's worth a lot. The tool folks over at the harbor are nice and all, but they won't be much help if you need parts or advice, but when you call Caswell, you get answers and they ship stuff out fast.

The gun works great if you take care to put the right amount of powder in the cup.

I now use a more expensive gun, but the quality of coating isn't much better (if at all), it's just an easier gun to use and clean. For what you get for your money, the Caswell $100 gun is great (No, I don't work for Caswell ).

CaptChauncy is right, cleaning, preparing the surface, pre-heating (when needed) has way more of an effect on the outcome than the gun. My El-Cheapo blast cabinet made things much easier.

Steve
            Steve Dold
            http://stevedold.com

Comment

I have both, the Caswell and the Chicago guns. The Caswell gun seams to perfurm more consistantly.
              Lee Parsons
              Rowlett, TX (East Dallas)

Comment

Awesome! I will pick up a Caswell and see how it works out. does anyone use a regular oven? (not in the house) But pick up an old oven ... so it's 20 minutes @ 400 degrees?

thanks

frogwash

Comment

An electric kitchen oven will work just fine. Some guys have even made extensions to be able to cure larger parts in kitchen ovens. Another thing about kitchen ovens is that when you get to the point of needing a larger oven you have most of the parts to build opne already.

Your powder should have the curing temp and time on the lable but generaly its 400 at 15 to 20 minutes. I have some that are 375 at 15 so make sure you check the lable.
                  Lee Parsons
                  Rowlett, TX (East Dallas)

Comment

tip find an old water heater and us it as a holding tank for that small compresor works for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X