X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coleman5
    replied
    Re: Home Garage Powder Coaters

tip find an old water heater and us it as a holding tank for that small compresor works for me.

Leave a comment:

• LeeParsons
    replied

An electric kitchen oven will work just fine. Some guys have even made extensions to be able to cure larger parts in kitchen ovens. Another thing about kitchen ovens is that when you get to the point of needing a larger oven you have most of the parts to build opne already.

Your powder should have the curing temp and time on the lable but generaly its 400 at 15 to 20 minutes. I have some that are 375 at 15 so make sure you check the lable.

Leave a comment:

• frogwash
    replied

Awesome! I will pick up a Caswell and see how it works out. does anyone use a regular oven? (not in the house) But pick up an old oven ... so it's 20 minutes @ 400 degrees?

thanks

frogwash

Leave a comment:

• LeeParsons
    replied

I have both, the Caswell and the Chicago guns. The Caswell gun seams to perfurm more consistantly.

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied

Hey Frogwash,

I started with the cheap gun from the tool company (I had never heard of Caswell, I bought it on a whim). That gun seems identical to the Caswell gun, with the exception of the power supply, which looks a little different. If I had it to do over I'd buy it from Caswell, since they are pretty supportive and that's worth a lot. The tool folks over at the harbor are nice and all, but they won't be much help if you need parts or advice, but when you call Caswell, you get answers and they ship stuff out fast.

The gun works great if you take care to put the right amount of powder in the cup.

I now use a more expensive gun, but the quality of coating isn't much better (if at all), it's just an easier gun to use and clean. For what you get for your money, the Caswell $100 gun is great (No, I don't work for Caswell ).

CaptChauncy is right, cleaning, preparing the surface, pre-heating (when needed) has way more of an effect on the outcome than the gun. My El-Cheapo blast cabinet made things much easier.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• CaptainChauncy
    replied

I can't say which gun is better as I use a different gun that I am happy with. The prep work on a part is extremely important. The better your prep work the better the finish will be! In my opinon, the prep work is more important than the gun you are using.

Leave a comment:

• frogwash
    replied

And would those be the $100 units from Caswell? I notice alot of processes talked about here. Is it more about the prep, cleaning and process over the unit you are using?

Do most of the people here use the smaller, less expensive units? Say the $100 gun?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

in all honesty popeye is right. i have used both and caswells rig is more consistant.

Leave a comment:

• Popeye
    replied

That's a silly question, Caswell of course!

Leave a comment:

• frogwash
    replied

I notice there are 2 major small PC units sold... Caswell and Chicago.. Any suggestions on which is actually the better unit, and why? (probably not a good question to ask on the Caswell forum)...

Thanks much

frogwash

Leave a comment:

• frogwash
    replied

Thanks Much all...!

Possilbe for any people who response to tell me the type of Powder Coater they currently own? I am very close to purchasing one and would like to get more input as far as a good unit to buy... Do I need to spend more to get a better quality? Again I will be using it for small motorcycle parts typically... maybe something as large as a wheel.

Thanks

Frogwash

Leave a comment:

• CaptainChauncy
    replied

Originally posted by frogwash
    Someone said this is kind of a messy job (powder coating).. I assume the best way to do this is to build an enclosure. And is the overspray re-usable? Is it possible to have some sort of "catch tray". I have never done it so I don't even know how much overspray there is. Trying to learn as much as possible before I commit myself to this process and invest any dough.

Thanks F
    The overspray is reuseable but I dont think it is really worth it to collect the overspray for customers parts. I could see if you do alot of one color but for most of us hobbyists who shoot smaller amounts of powder I dont think it is worth the hassle to recollect.

Leave a comment:

• frogwash
    replied

Someone said this is kind of a messy job (powder coating).. I assume the best way to do this is to build an enclosure. And is the overspray re-usable? Is it possible to have some sort of "catch tray". I have never done it so I don't even know how much overspray there is. Trying to learn as much as possible before I commit myself to this process and invest any dough.

Thanks F

Leave a comment:

• Heavykote
    replied

Thanks for the advice guys! Every little bit helps and now I gotta start savin for the GOOD NOZZLES...lol

Leave a comment:

• Popeye
    replied

I agree, carbide is the only way to go, just be sure to inspected and replace the air jet or a regular basis. Same holds true if you're using ceramic, on the third ceramic tip replacement replace the air jet or the tips won't last long at all.

Heavykote, hope you get better soon!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X