Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found sand blasting aluminum prior to powder coating is a big no-no.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I found sand blasting aluminum prior to powder coating is a big no-no.

There are Cast Aluminum Shot Blast Media available that apparently takes care of all these problems. VERY expensive though!
    Andre, VT
    P.S: I tried to post then link but it gets removed automatically...also had to mispell the company's name. That' plain ridiculous!!!!
    Last edited by jimcarry; 11-21-2006, 03:35 PM.

Comment

These forums are the property of Caswell Inc. By participating in these forums, you agree to the following:

You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading or inaccurate.

You will not behave in an abusive manner, and will not harass, threaten,

or attack other participants, or post material that is offensive, abusive,

racist or discriminating.

You will not use profanity. You will not post language or content that

is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive. You will not attach

links to sites that contain such content.

You will respect the privacy of others and will not post anyone else's

identifying information (including their names, contact information, or any

other relevant information).

You will not use these discussions to violate any laws or to discuss illegal

activities.

You will not impersonate any person or entity, forge headers, or otherwise

manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any posting.

You will not post any copyrighted material, or link to any copyrighted

material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the

legal owners of the copyrights have intended to be made freely available to

the general public), unless the copyright is owned by you.

You will not use these discussions for the purposes of sharing or distributing

viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks"

or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any

computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.

You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations.

You will not post messages whose content is clearly not relevant to the

stated topic of any discussion. You will not post copies of identical messages.

You remain, at all times, solely responsible for the entire content of

all your postings, including any posted links. Caswell Inc. does not review

the content of posted messages and does not accept responsibility for the

contents of any messages posted on its site.

You will not post any message that contravenes Caswell Inc.'s business

goals, including messages advertising a competitor's product and messages

that may negatively impact sales of Caswell Inc.'s products.

You will not post any message in these forums requesting product support

from Caswell Inc. Caswell Inc. does not monitor these forums on a regular

basis. Your request will probably go unanswered. Please use the technical

support section on our web site.

Caswell Inc. reserves the right to delete any posted message based on any

violation of the above Terms of Use, and may terminate offenders' accounts,

ban their access to discussions, and may contact offenders' service providers

regarding their inappropriate behavior.

All material posted to the forum and picture album becomes the exclusive

property of Caswell Inc., and may be used for any purpose without compensation

to the original poster.

Caswell Inc. reserves the right to log the IP address of the forum users.

To report a posting that violates the above Terms of Use, please contact use the "Report This Post" link which appears on each post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      This is why your posts are removed or edited these are the TOS and must be fallowed by all of us including the moderators
      Jim Eaton

Comment

So, you can't post a link to a product that Caswell doesn't sell, yet will greatly help out someone in the PC world
        Dan Pesonen
        Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
        Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
        "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Originally posted by Banditperformance
          So, you can't post a link to a product that Caswell doesn't sell, yet will greatly help out someone in the PC world
          I guess I did not see this:
          "This forum is a private forum, designed to help existing customers. it is not a soapbox for discussing competitive products virtues, or the lack of them.
          If you post messages here using competitors names, the names will automatically be obliterated. Some people feel they can negatively impact a competitor, or Caswell Inc on our forum. They are wrong, and they will be banned."

OK, gotta respect that. However, Caswell does not sell EVERYTHING we need!
          Mike, if you read this, I did not mean to violate your policies, but just to share potentially useful info. And BTW, I bought all my ano and pwd coating stuff from you. Your company sells great stuff. No need to be paranoid. 'nough said. Back to topic!
          Andre, VT

Comment

Man, and here I thought every powder coater knew you are not supposed to use glass beads on items you want to powder. Glass beads do not even create a good profile so why use them? This kind of stuff should be explained to you when you purchase you first powder gun. Just because someone else lived when they jumped off that bridge don`t mean you will! RESEARCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Banditperformance
              A product and a Company name are two different things. There are sections in this forum to request Caswells to sell something we could all use and this is the proper way to do things.
              A forum owned by any other Company would not want Caswells name posted all over there forum.
              Jim Eaton

Comment

Originally posted by tnc
                Man, and here I thought every powder coater knew you are not supposed to use glass beads on items you want to powder. Glass beads do not even create a good profile so why use them? This kind of stuff should be explained to you when you purchase you first powder gun. Just because someone else lived when they jumped off that bridge don`t mean you will! RESEARCH!

Perhaps your just smarter than everyone else here.

How about you provide links to this information that you say is readily available...

Comment

Originally posted by mtumbleson
                  Perhaps your just smarter than everyone else here.

How about you provide links to this information that you say is readily available...
                  Sorry if I came off the wrong way when writing that. It was more having a go at the sellers of the equipment than the coater. To get the best adhersion you want some type of profile which glass beads will not give you. They smooth out the surface instead of dig into it. Glass bead also tends to embed it self on the substrate and that is why even though you have used shop air on the part to clean after blasting it still has glass on the part causing the imperfections in the powder. As I wrote earlier this should be explained to people when they purchase powder equipment. Good Luck to ya!

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried sodium blasting... this was suggested to me by an autobody teacher that I know

Comment

Thanks guys and gals for all the info on blasting aluminum. I just started in the PC process and this fourm is GREAT! Now on to the point of Blasting aluminum products. I build very high horsepower small block chevys ie.2.5 hp per cid at 10,000rpm and I use crushed walnut shells on the pistons then bake them in the oven to burn off any residue left then rinse with min spirits. The shells are less intrusive to the aluminum especially in the ring lan area and remove the carbon fast and easy. The other medias will get imbeded in the pistons and cause friction and particals in the oil thus reducing the life of the engine. So I believe the same process for PC will work. Thanks for letting me put my two cents worth in and hope it helps someone else. fastopel

Comment

I had some similar results when I put 125 psi black beauty to some aluminum pieces pits pops. This clears up the mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by mtumbleson View Post
                          The angle of the gun does make sense. I do hold the gun mostly at 90* when blasting, which could have been the problem. But, I never new any better until now.

I am curious about using other media, it would be interesting to see if the same thing happened with other media using the same technique.

As I mentioned earlier most of what I PC comes off my mill, so really what I'm doing is de-burring and cleaning up the machining marks, so there isn't any heavy deposits to remove. I do have a process down that gives me acceptable finishes but I would like to cut down on the time spent cleaning up the parts, as it's my least favorite thing to do.
                          I also usually blast at 45deg. It seems to work much better then 90, -Seems to "slice" through stuff.
                          -Powder Plus

Comment

Originally posted by ninjinja View Post
                            Just wondering if anyone has ever tried sodium blasting... this was suggested to me by an autobody teacher that I know
                            It's not what everyone says... We feel that Aluminum oxide works much better.

A guy brought down an older corvette frame swearing by baking soda as it won't warp the fiberglass body. After he saw the different in AO and BS, he took his baking soda back home haha

Comment

Originally posted by corecoatings View Post
                              I had some similar results when I put 125 psi black beauty to some aluminum pieces pits pops. This clears up the mystery.
                              125 PSI?

Comment

double post..

Comment

Working...
                                X