X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowderVisions
    replied
    Re: Getting started in powder coating, am i missing anything

Starting up your own powder application can be hit or miss on what you will need. It sounds as thought you have a handle on it. Different projects require different equipment. Make sure you have some GOOD oil/water traps on your compressor. Equipment is not the only thing you need when applying powder, you also need to know what to do when problems arise. Good Luck, hope it works for you!

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

glad to hear it bro. just what we need another mad scientist powder coater.

Leave a comment:

• UnorthodoxCreations
    replied

Well I'm finally picking up an oven tonight for $20. I alread placed my order with Caswell for the Hobby Gun, an extra cup, black powder, super chrome, clear, lollipop blue candy, and some masking tape. I'll see how that stuff goes and go from there. I cant wait to get everything and get started.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainChauncy
    replied

Originally posted by pickleboy
    if you are looking for a large one try to find an auctioneer that specializes in restaurant equipment and see what the going rate is for those. or if all else fails build one yourself, there is lots of posts on here about that.
    That is how I got mine. A company on ebay buys the inventory of restaurants going out of business and then sells them on ebay. I got mine for $200. It is a convection electric oven and gets up to 400F in about 15 minutes. Ebay has some good deals on ovens.

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

if you are looking for a large one try to find an auctioneer that specializes in restaurant equipment and see what the going rate is for those. or if all else fails build one yourself, there is lots of posts on here about that.

Leave a comment:

• sswee
    replied

For an oven you might check the places that sell new ones. Sometimes they'll give you one they took out that the top doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• UnorthodoxCreations
    replied

Looks like I'll be ditching the Iron phosphate and picking up a few extra cups as suggested. Thanx for all the tips. Now I just need to find a oven. I have every person I know keeping there eyes open for me. I found 1 last week but it turned out to be gas.

Leave a comment:

• sswee
    replied

If your blasting the parts clean before coating I don't see the iron phosphate a necessity. The extra cups are an excellent idea for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Netnut
    replied

I use the infrared thermometer to measure the part temperature and a kitchen count down timer...

Iron phosfete is for iron, but caswell have some other material for aluminium, but for your engine parts I don't think you need it

Get 4-5 extra powder container for your gun, easier when change from base color to clear cover coat

Welcome and have fun

fr

Leave a comment:

• CaptainChauncy
    replied

Originally posted by UnorthodoxCreations
    I got a compressor and respirator so they are no problem. I'll be building my spray booth in a few days. I was hoping there was an easier way to mask raised stuff but thats what i expected. I've read about outgassing so I'll be doing that.

Is that Iron Phosphate needed?

Is there a cheaper alternative to the silicone plugs? I dont need near that many just afew of each size?

Thanks for the help, great forum!
    I have used alluminum foil instead of plugs a couple times, they will get the job done but dont work as well as the plugs do.

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied

also i am sure you know from reading but you need a good final degrease product. i have used breakclean, acetone, and mek. this is for final wipedown of the parts just before the powder. as for iron phospate i have not used it yet but if corrosion is a factor to control it is probably a good idea. also i would recommend tack rags that you can get at any paint supplier, these are good for the final wipe down since they dont leave behind lint. welcome to the board and best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• UnorthodoxCreations
    replied

Originally posted by CaptainChauncy
    You are going to need a compressor and a spray booth. You can make the spray booth yourself. I also use a respirator when spraying powder.
    I got a compressor and respirator so they are no problem. I'll be building my spray booth in a few days. I was hoping there was an easier way to mask raised stuff but thats what i expected. I've read about outgassing so I'll be doing that.

Is that Iron Phosphate needed?

Is there a cheaper alternative to the silicone plugs? I dont need near that many just afew of each size?

Thanks for the help, great forum!

Leave a comment:

• sswee
    replied

As for the silicone plug kits go. I got the flange kit for studs & bolt holes and it saves alot on taping. It'll depend on the kind of work your doing as to how needed it. SS

Leave a comment:

• LeeParsons
    replied

Deffently get a reporator or at least filter masks. I also use latex exam gloves when powdering to keep from getting oils from my hands on the parts and to keep the powder off my hands.

Leave a comment:

• daveg
    replied

Oh, and I also meant to add,

There are different opinions on this, but after preheating aluminum parts, I spray the powder on while the part is still warm, around 200 usually, then put it back in to cure. I very rarely have a problem with outgassing with this method.

David

Leave a comment:

Working...
X