painting decals on powder coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting decals on powder coat

What kind of paint is used to air brush decals and graphics on a powder coated bicycle frame, then clear powder coated over?

Do I need a special type of paint that will withstand the cure temperature of the clear powder coat or will most lacquers or enamels work OK?

thanks,
    Dave

Re: painting decals on powder coat

Lacquer would probably work, do a test piece first though.

Comment

most liquid will not hold up to powder temps and if the do you still have the problem of them causing the clear powder to lift off. if you plan on liquid graphics i would use liquid to clear and save the heartach of haveing to start over. but as popeye said you can try on a test plate a see for sure.
      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Most decal makers use a special high temperature decal for use under powdercoat. Regular vinyl decals will not take much temperature change. I would contact the decal manufacturers for their suggestions.

Comment

I was not referring to vinyl decals in my post. I meant airbrushing letters with paint such as on a bicycle frame.

You can see this process on Spectrum Powdercoating website where the employee does this whole process on video on a bike frame. Of course they don't tell what kind of paint he is airbrushing on the powdercoated frame. Then he clear powder coats the whole bike.

Comment

They are probably using either an epoxy or polyurethane catalized paint.

Comment

DaveNJ,
              Stick with the lacquer first... it usually is sprayed very thin and the solvents evaporate quickly. Epoxies, Urethanes and enamels that a LONG time for the solvents to evaporate.
              I used to do a lot of air brush work and lacquer is the preferred medium..
              Test first

Comment

crafts ceramic paint
                it's used for painting ceramic crafts like pottery and it has to be baked at 350-400 same as powder coating

Comment

Originally posted by jtagger19
                  crafts ceramic paint
                  it's used for painting ceramic crafts like pottery and it has to be baked at 350-400 same as powder coating

I know this is a old thread but I had to ask one question. Can you powder coat clear over the ceramic paint after paint has cured.

Comment

the last times I tried it cracked under the clear.
                    i was told to sand
                    paint
                    cure the paint
                    then powder clear and cure
                    but i never tried it
                    but vinyl stickers work , there was a thread about it a few days ago .

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                      X