How much material for 4 wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much material for 4 wheels?

I about to embark on my first powdercoating project. My plan is to polish my aluminum wheels and then topcoat them with Liquid Smoke. Any ideas how much powdercoating media would be needed to coat 4 17" wheels?

Re: How much material for 4 wheels?

Depends, I've seen 17" wheels that are almost solid. Then I've seen them with hardly and metal at all in them. But on avg you should be able to get away under a pound..
    Jim S...
    Jim Shuster
    www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
    www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
    www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

you will still need a base coat for the rims, even if they are polished; they will chip like no-ones buisness, i learned the hardway on my first bike frame of mine, i have done the middle of brake rotors also, and one is starting to chip away because i never put a base coat on. Go the safe route and put a chrome base coat on, it will still look great, and if you really want shine, go for a super high gloss clear over top of it all, you wont regret it, and it will look great for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_mtb_2002
        you will still need a base coat for the rims, even if they are polished; they will chip like no-ones buisness, i learned the hardway on my first bike frame of mine, i have done the middle of brake rotors also, and one is starting to chip away because i never put a base coat on. Go the safe route and put a chrome base coat on, it will still look great, and if you really want shine, go for a super high gloss clear over top of it all, you wont regret it, and it will look great for ages.
        Candy coats should not chip, I've done many Chrome valve covers with Candy top coats and no problems.. Are you sure they where cured all the way? Also how did you prep the parts?

Jim S...
        Jim Shuster
        www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
        www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
        www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

A polished surface will not hold powder coating as good as a blasted piece would even if you fully cure it. Valve covers do not see alot of abuse, wheels do so its really up to what your going to be spraying. My powder coating business at this time is only doing polishing with candy top coats, for some reason its the in thing right now with the sportbikes. Like HVAC36 said prep is key, you should make sure you get all the polishing compound off, dont use anything harsh to stain the finish, and make sure you pre-heat. DO NOT scuff up the polish or chrome unless your only shooting solids, translucents will show the scratches.

I would blast those wheels, and shoot a 2 stage powder coat maybe using super chrome. Not only will you not have to polish those rims (Nightmare), but get a finish that will last you over time. That color you want really wont be any different if its over polish unless you have done this process a few times since it requires a very light coating if you want to achieve a color chrome like tint.

Comment

Originally posted by tavo1765
            A polished surface will not hold powder coating as good as a blasted piece would even if you fully cure it. Valve covers do not see alot of abuse, wheels do so its really up to what your going to be spraying. My powder coating business at this time is only doing polishing with candy top coats, for some reason its the in thing right now with the sportbikes. Like HVAC36 said prep is key, you should make sure you get all the polishing compound off, dont use anything harsh to stain the finish, and make sure you pre-heat. DO NOT scuff up the polish or chrome unless your only shooting solids, translucents will show the scratches.

I would blast those wheels, and shoot a 2 stage powder coat maybe using super chrome. Not only will you not have to polish those rims (Nightmare), but get a finish that will last you over time. That color you want really wont be any different if its over polish unless you have done this process a few times since it requires a very light coating if you want to achieve a color chrome like tint.

Thanks you all for the responses. Based on the feedback I am going to basecoat them with the new extreme chrome and then the liquid smoke top coat. It will save me a lot of polishing time and I hope the effect will be the same.

Comment

Every part i have done without a base coat has chipped pretty quick, while every piece i have done with a base coat hasn't, i make sure it doesn't chip too, or i'd do it again, to test this i used an object and hit it slightly, the other day on my bike i smoked it with a hammer missing a bolt, not one chip, but on my original without the base, it chipped first run down the mountain by my knee. I have done a few brake rotors also, and just slightly tightening it up, the powder just flaked off. But good choice on the xtreme chrome, it will save alot of time, and will turn out nice, post some pictures, i need to pick up some xtreme chrome on the next order

Comment

I would believe since your doing 2 coats your allowing for a longer cure time overall. Try a piece at 350 for 40mins, or 15 mins are 410 for polished pieces, I do fully polished motorcycle rims that go on a tire machine and they dont chip, doesnt mean they are chip proof but should hold up to a decent blow from a hammer.

Comment

Working...
                X