Candy Top Coat w/o Basecoat???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candy Top Coat w/o Basecoat???

MY plan is polish my wheels and use a candy top coat (liquid smoke) to try to achieve a black chrome looking finish. Will this be durable without a base coat? Caswell advertises it as not needing a basecoat. Anyone have any experience with this method? Thanks in advance.

Re: Candy Top Coat w/o Basecoat

i have seen photos of it done on this and another forum. it seems to be fine. i cant speak for durability though. i would drop a e-mail or pm to jim(hvac36) he does a good bit or different parts and has a good bit of experience and can answer this.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

The effect your asking about is called "color chrome", I do this all the time. Trick is to make sure you have no scratches, they will show up.

You must apply a light coat just to cover the pieces, do not put alot on. When coating over polish the surface is so smooth powder flows out like glass and by just dusting a nice even coat the polish will shine through so the color isnt dark.

Make sure you preheat those wheels also at 450f for 30 mins. Now make sure you have those wheels at 400f for 30mins so you know they cured. Coating over polish doesnt hold up in the long run, and actually chips very easy so keep that in mind.

Comment

Agree with Tavo.. You can get a almost chip resistance part by lowering the temp and doing a longer cure time.
        Ex: Instead of 400degrees for 15 mins go 370 for 30 mins.
        If used rims make sure you outgas at 425 for at least 30mins after Rim reachs temp. Then remove cool to about 150 - 160 then dust your color. Then place back in oven lower temp to 360 -370 and cure for at least 30 mins.. Longer dwell time will help the powder flow and hopefully grab a little more to the surface openings..

Jim S...
        Jim Shuster
        www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
        www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
        www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

Durability is going to be a major concern. Based on the feedback, I am thinking that I may be better off trying a base coat of the new extreme chrome and then doing the candy liquid smoke top coat. As a bonus it would save me a lot of polishing time.

Comment

Originally posted by hvac36
            Agree with Tavo.. You can get a almost chip resistance part by lowering the temp and doing a longer cure time.
            Ex: Instead of 400degrees for 15 mins go 370 for 30 mins.
            If used rims make sure you outgas at 425 for at least 30mins after Rim reachs temp. Then remove cool to about 150 - 160 then dust your color. Then place back in oven lower temp to 360 -370 and cure for at least 30 mins.. Longer dwell time will help the powder flow and hopefully grab a little more to the surface openings..

Jim S...
            I have used a translucent red on a polished manifold. It worked out well. I plan on the polishing my rims and useing a translucent on them. It should be fine.
            Powder coating / Polishing and much more!
            www.latenightcustom.com

Comment

Working...
            X