bead blasting - vacuum to keep dust down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bead blasting - vacuum to keep dust down

What kind of vacuum are you guys using to keep the dust out of the blast cabinet?

The shop vac I have hook up is just too much. I can only turn it on for a second or two when I am not blasting in order to clean out the dust fog. If I leave it on while blasting, I suck out too much media.

Thanks

Re: bead blasting - vacuum to keep dust down

What size cabinet and where on it is the vacuum hooked up?

Comment

I guess that would have helped.

It is just a small desk top blast cabinet. And the hose is hooked up near the top left side.

Comment

I put a small piece of screen over mine, keeps the sand in but sucks the dust out.
        mach
        TSA Custom Metal Finishes
        Live fast, Die sideways

Comment

I'm using a 6.5 HP shop vac on mine, but then again I have a pretty big cabinet. If I remember right, 40x28x36. On a benchtop unit like that, I'd look at one of the small shop vacs, Home Depot has one on their website for $27.00. Also, it's connected to the cabinet up at the top rear corner. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah... I guess I just need to stop in at Home Depot or something and check out the little shop vacs.

Comment

I use an upright carpet vacuum with the hose attachment. Most people throw them out because the brush stopped working. FREEBIE

Comment

Canister Vac!, one of those old-skool monsters the ol' ladies toss out (rarely), usually found at a yard-sale.. Problem is sometimes finding bags because they are so old.. lol, Try making a burlap-bag IF you cant find one..

Mine uses a BIG shop-vac with the larger hose, The side of the cabinets usually have a 3" or so hole that is also identical to the hole in the side of the vac itself.., In other words IF you can get another plastic end from a junk one it pops right in on the cabinet and at the vacuum.. No more duct-tape!

My cabinet is the Cyclone with the same dimensions you listed.., Does yours also have a door and open clam-shell??

Another way to eliminate most of the dust is trying out that new stuff called Star-Blast.. (titanium sand), They say that it is "dust free"....

Along with a bigger Vacuum be sure that the air vents at the other end are at least twice the size of the hole at the other end, This way it has no struggle in sucking the clean air IN.., I have HUNDREDS of these micro-mesh screens to get rid of that work perfect screwed to the side of any home-brew or industrial made cabinet...
                DIY Groups Powder-Coating - Metal-Casting - Metal-Chipping - Metal-Polishing - Fiberglas - CNC Tables - GOT LINKS?

Comment

Originally posted by fxstcguy98
                  I use an upright carpet vacuum with the hose attachment. Most people throw them out because the brush stopped working. FREEBIE
                  Another one is those bag-less Cyclone? Tornado? vacs, Just remove the belt from the brush.. and any media it sucks-up you can pour back in the tank after it's been screened..
                  DIY Groups Powder-Coating - Metal-Casting - Metal-Chipping - Metal-Polishing - Fiberglas - CNC Tables - GOT LINKS?

Comment

I used a shop vac and within a year the motor seized. The dust is so fine that it gets past the filter and in the bearings. I bought a small dust collector from Harbor Freight. It seems to work ok. Right tool for the right job.

Comment

Working...
                    X