Subframe Powder Coating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subframe Powder Coating?

I want to powdercoat the subframe of my car, but I was wondering how I could powder the inside surface reasonably well. The back portion is accesible, however the fron part is hollow with a few little cutouts leading to the inner surface. Is there any technique to apply powder on this surface?

Thanks

Re: Subframe Powder Coating?

Here is what I do, I stick my gun in all the holes I can and just fog them as best as I can. If allowed I will have extra holes cut in the frame. But this must be done very caefully as you do not want weaken the frame...

Jim S...
    Jim Shuster
    www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
    www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
    www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

I also want to do the same to a sub-frame when its done..

I am turning a 1986' Fiero into a 6" inch stretched convertible and it was NEEDED else she would bend like a pretzel in the middle behind the seats..

Check out the cross-tubes just added yesterday..

I want do to this whole thing in silver/black VIEN or maybe a bright red as it will all un-bolt from the floor-pan and front & rear suspensions when done..

Rear tube (only one part of the removable X-member still being made)

In-order to PC this whole thing the ends will be capped with the metal that was drilled out in the first place.., the ends of the 2" x 3" will also be capped.., After PC'd just pour in a 1/2 quart of used oil inside each rail to keep it from rotting from the inside out..

The "idea" thanks to Photoshop:

Regards
      Rob
      Last edited by BerkelUSA; 12-08-2005, 10:47 PM.
      DIY Groups Powder-Coating - Metal-Casting - Metal-Chipping - Metal-Polishing - Fiberglas - CNC Tables - GOT LINKS?

Comment

Originally posted by BerkelUSA
        I also want to do the same to a sub-frame when its done..

I am turning a 1986' Fiero into a 6" inch stretched convertible and it was NEEDED else she would bend like a pretzel in the middle behind the seats..

Check out the cross-tubes just added yesterday..

I want do to this whole thing in silver/black VIEN or maybe a bright red as it will all un-bolt from the floor-pan and front & rear suspensions when done..

Rear tube (only one part of the removable X-member still being made)

In-order to PC this whole thing the ends will be capped with the metal that was drilled out in the first place.., the ends of the 2" x 3" will also be capped.., After PC'd just pour in a 1/2 quart of used oil inside each rail to keep it from rotting from the inside out..

The "idea" thanks to Photoshop:

Regards
        Rob

Very nice, but why the stretch? Was the stretch required, or is it for cosmetics only? I've got one of the original designed sub frame connectors for the convertable Fiero. I plan to use it on my targa top conversion.

Comment

Dare to be different maybe?
          Bigger area for side ventilation in the future?

If the side panels, rear clip, and nose on this car change dont be amazed...

I can tell you that IF they DO change extremely they WONT be fiberglas anymore!..

I see NH plates that read "NOTAKIT"

Having FUN mixing ideas..., Corvette, Impala, Fiero, Ferarri, Whatever is FREE for parts at the Junkyard could be here.. never know!

Ever seen something and thought "hey I like that, But I dont like the car its ON"

Go read the new Hotrod mag? Where the guy talks about stuffing a pontiac engine in his rusty 57' Chevy..

I was reading it thinking "Hey It's my long-lost twin brother"

Rob
          DIY Groups Powder-Coating - Metal-Casting - Metal-Chipping - Metal-Polishing - Fiberglas - CNC Tables - GOT LINKS?

Comment

Heres a picture of the subframe I need coated. Any other ideas to get the inside?

Comment

Rob, are you a Pontiac Nut, and is this the Rob from the PA blaster yahoo goroup? If so, on both account's, well bud we need to chat. I am a Pontiac freak, and am trying to make your PA blaster work for my PC buisness and fund my Pontiacs. I currently have 4

BTW, Inferno, I'd set the pressure on your gun low, amd drift the powder into all the crevicises etc... With a little well placed gun pointing, you can get most all of that frame. And the parts that don't get coated, they will be to far in to rust within our lifetimes anyways
              Last edited by Banditperformance; 09-09-2006, 02:40 AM.
              Dan Pesonen
              Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
              Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
              "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Pontiac and 30's Chevy nut!..

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ThisOldChevy/

With a taste of Yamachopper
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RobsProjects/

and yes the PA group..

Comment

Working...
                X