Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Booth question

Hello Everyone,

I just ordered the hobby gun from Caswell and can't wait to get started. The gun will arrive this Thursday. I already have a sand blaster, blasting cabinet...and converted a spare bathroom into a pc booth. I have a small furniture store...and have two restrooms so don't need both. I'm wondering if the exhaust fan in the restroom will be adequate..or do you think i'll need to install a larger one? I plan on using a chemical mask..also for safety. Also wondering if this poses a saftey hazard. About fifty feet from my booth is a propane gas heater that i use to stay warm. If there is not sufficient suction in the exhaust i guess it may be possible for the dust to somehow get out into the open air and over tothe heater ( maybe when door is open) ?
    Am i being paranoid? lol Or should i only pc when no heat is on.....and be sure the air is completely clear? Thanks and looking foward to start powdercoating,

Al

Re: PC Booth question

I use a bathroom exaust fan in a 40" X 40" booth. Where are you exausting to? What do you plan to use for filtration before the fan? My opinion with a room size booth you will need more than the exaust fan and the heater could be an issue especially while spraying powder. Some people here use torpedo style heaters for their ovens but at that point in the process there is substancially less powder dust floating around.

Jason
    Auto-Cycle PC

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i think you're right....i definetly need more ventilation for the booth that size. What i've decided to do is put together a stove top booth....i've got access to lots of ovens (electric) trade-ins so its just a matter of picking the cleanest and largest i can find. From reading past posts i plan on using some type of furnace filter for the fan..is this right? Also have been wondering if you use the exhaust fan during the whole pc process or only after the part is coated? Just curious if you can have to much exhaust..in a smaller booth...that it would pull some of the pc off the object? Thanks,

Al bravo

Comment

I have a booth that is 40" x 40" x 36". I leave the fan pulling the entire time i am coating. The filter I use is a 10"x20" furnace filter but I got the better filter not the cheapo ones. With the bathroom type exaust fan in this size booth is just right for air flow I never see and powder residue setteling outside the front of the booth and the filter does a good enough job that i dont get any out the exaust side either. i will try to post pics later tonight of my booth and exaust setup.

Jason
        Auto-Cycle PC

Comment

Jason,

Any idea how big your bathroom exaust fan is? I was thinking of making a similar size booth and use a $15 bath fan. I believe it's about 60 CFM. Would love to see pictures if you get a chance.
          -Joe

Comment

I'm on my real job (haha) right now. I will post some pics when I get home later. I built a box for the fan to pull through. The fan came out of a bathroom in a mobile home a friend of mine is remodeling. I will look and get more details when I get home.

Jason
            Auto-Cycle PC
            Chattanooga, TN

Comment

Joe, here are sone pics of my booth 40w x 36d x 40h.
              Attached Files

Comment

More Pics!
                Attached Files

Comment

More Pics!

Jason
                  Auto-Cycle PC
                  Attached Files

Comment

More.........
                    Attached Files

Comment

very nice booth bro. the storage under is handy as heck.
                      when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
                      G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. I'm glad you had the valve cover in there, it gives you a good idea of what size booth will be big enough. I think i will go with a imilar size booth.
                        thanks agan
                        Joe

Comment

I'm in the build process myself, how do you guys feel about the vent postion top, bottom or in the side. I've even thought that the back wall mybe a good spot. Any thoughts?
                          Jeff B.
                          Instructions for riding a Warrior: 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch and put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5) {VERY IMPORTANT!!} HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin, and an evil smile resembling the "Joker".

Comment

Looks good. I'm building a 3x3x6 booth. My idea is similar. I will post pics to share. My idea is to make a false back wall with filter media, then have a true solid back wall behind it so theres a 3x6 6" deep plenum. Then cut a hole in the top and use a bathroom exh fan (60-70cfm). Im hoping that this will make for enough pull to draw excess powder to the filters, but not enough to pull it off the part. I figure I can adjust by adding more fans or add a damper to get the flow balanced. Also on the lighting I plan to use flourescents on the front, shining onto the part, with a wood sheild so I can see the part really well. One more idea is rotisseries so parts can be turned in the booth without fear of touching them. Since its enclosed on 3 sides I figure I need a way to rotate the parts. Would good quality furnace filters (not the cheap blue spun glass ones, but the pleated style) trap the powder? I dont want to create an explosion hazard.

Comment

My booth is about 30"*30"*36". I used a single $12, 60 CFM bathroom fan on the back wall, with a furnace filter over it. It is enough to capture all of the powder in the booth. Try the booth with one fan, if it isn't enough go buy another. I like the bath fans because you can hook up a 4" tube to the exhaust.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X